Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 22nd, 2009 15:00

Windows 7 Install on Inspiron 9300--Drivers?

Decided to try Windows 7 on my 9300 laptop. So far, pretty good. Performance is fast, but I need a few drivers I can't find:

1. The multimedia audio driver (no sound).  Any ideas where a Vista driver could be found?

2. Can't get the correct resolution on my display with the standard VGA driver in Win 7.  ATI is no help; can't find a Dell driver for Vista for the X300 mobile display adapter.

3. Touchpad only works for moving the mouse pointer; the scroll bars don't work. I assume I need a newer Vista driver for the touchpad software.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

May 22nd, 2009 16:00

ATI did release X300 support - you might need to go to a driver modding site to get one that works (www.omegadrivers.net) -- that said, the X300 isn't a strong Aero runner so you may find it sluggish with that option turned on.

The system uses a Sigmatel 9750 chipset for audio - they may have Vista drivers.

The touchpad is an Alps - likewise, try them for a touchpad driver.

370 Posts

Of course, but Vista drivers usually work fine with Windows 7.  For example, I was able to find Vista drivers for the network adaptor and it's up and running.  Problem now is finding Vista drivers for some of this "older" laptop's equipment. 

2.9K Posts

If you can't find drivers yourself, you may be out of luck. NO manufacturer is going to release drivers for an UNRELEASED operating system.

370 Posts

May 22nd, 2009 23:00

Thanks for the tips. 

I finally found Sigmatel and Alps drivers (at third party sites, not the home companies)... the Sigmatel worked fine; the Alps had problems. Will have to try some others. 

Could not locate an X300 mobile driver, but then got lucky.  I opened Windows Update to get the latest Win7 updates, and--surprise--Windows offered me an ATI Mobile X300 driver!  Surprisingly (to me), Windows 7 performs very well--even with Aero turned on.  Although I haven't done much actual work yet, it seems more responsive than XP on this old 1.7ghz Centrino CPU.

1 Message

June 2nd, 2009 12:00

I finally found Sigmatel and Alps drivers (at third party sites, not the home companies)... the Sigmatel worked fine;

Hi RChris,

Please could you tell me where you got the Sigmatel driver from? I have the exact same problem with the inspiron 9300 and I've been looking everywhere for a working driver and can't find one. The file I got called "R90698.exe" just gives me an error message when installing saying that the "object was not found".

Thanks in advance!

370 Posts

June 2nd, 2009 15:00

I searched so many sites and tried so many drivers that I can't remember where I got it!  But it turns out that its file name is R99254.exe, which is the same driver name that you'll find on Dell Support if you enter your Inspiron 9300 laptop and look for the audio driver file. I'm guessing that the file you find on Dell will be the same one I got.  The Dell site doesn't give you the operating system option for Vista, but in the details it says that the driver is compatible with Vista. 

Here's the link, but if it doesn't work, just search Dell Suport for that file name.

2 Posts

September 17th, 2009 16:00

That link works (as of 9/17/09) and that driver works perfectly. Thanks much, RChris.

3 Posts

October 28th, 2009 06:00

Are you running an upgrade or a clean install?  I ran an upgrade on my 9300 and I don't have any issues with drivers.  The upgrade advisor said that the ALPS touchpad driver was incompatible, but I installed it anyway and it works perfectly.  It gave me the same message as when I tried to install it on Vista.  It asked if I wanted to run the program anyway.  I just checked the box next to "don't show this message again" and clicked "run program anyway".  Haven't had any issues with Windows 7 yet.  Also, try just installing the same display driver, as well as the same audio driver.  I used the drivers that were installed on this computer when I received it.  They worked for Vista somehow, now they're working in 7.

3 Posts

December 4th, 2009 03:00

I had attempted the upgrade to Win 7 from Win XP on my Dell Inspirion 9300 through a clean install since all the guidance I had read suggested that a straight upgrade from the XP OS to the Win 7 OS was not possible. Everything looked like it went OK until I discovered my network adapter was a no go in the Win 7 OS. For whatever reason, I was not able to connect to my network or the internet AT ALL after the upgrade. I messed with it for hours trying to get it to work, but never found anything that worked. Fortunately, I had backed up my HD and recoved the XP OS, so that's what I'm back to now on my 9300. I'd really like to upgrade it to Win 7 to take full advantage of Home Group, becuase as it stands, my Win 7 computers can tap into my XP system fine but the XP computer can't even see my two Win 7 systems on teh same network.

Any ideas or suggestions to make this happen will be greatly appreciated!

3 Posts

December 4th, 2009 07:00

So would you recommend that I download the 2200BG driver to a flash drive, perform a clean install of Win 7 again, and tehn load teh driver after Win 7 is loaded? I suppose it can't hurt to give that a shot huh? What are your thoughts?

370 Posts

I had attempted the upgrade to Win 7 from Win XP on my Dell Inspirion 9300 through a clean install since all the guidance I had read suggested that a straight upgrade from the XP OS to the Win 7 OS was not possible. Everything looked like it went OK until I discovered my network adapter was a no go in the Win 7 OS. For whatever reason, I was not able to connect to my network or the internet AT ALL after the upgrade. I messed with it for hours trying to get it to work, but never found anything that worked. Fortunately, I had backed up my HD and recoved the XP OS, so that's what I'm back to now on my 9300. I'd really like to upgrade it to Win 7 to take full advantage of Home Group, becuase as it stands, my Win 7 computers can tap into my XP system fine but the XP computer can't even see my two Win 7 systems on teh same network.

Any ideas or suggestions to make this happen will be greatly appreciated!

That happened to me when I installed the Windows 7 Release Candidate. I went to the Intel support site and downloaded drivers for the Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection, and that worked for me. 

Did not have to search for any drivers when I clean installed the new Win 7 Upgrade package. Puzzling, huh?!

3 Posts

I would save all of the drivers necessary for your computer to a flash drive.  Re-install a clean version of Win 7, then install the network driver.  Whatever drivers it doesn't find through Windows Update, you can install from your flash drive.

3 Posts

I too installed the 2200BG driver.  It's supposed to be compatible with Win 7.  Other than that, I used all original drivers for my Inspiron 9300.  I also flashed my BIOS as well, but I don't think I needed to do that.  My computer still runs perfectly fine with Win 7.

1 Message

January 1st, 2010 11:00

That happened to me when I installed the Windows 7 Release Candidate. I went to the Intel support site and downloaded drivers for the Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection, and that worked for me. 

Did not have to search for any drivers when I clean installed the new Win 7 Upgrade package. Puzzling, huh?!

I want to clean install from XP to Win7.I just went to the Intel site to download the drivers for the Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection, but can't find them. Apparently Intel has stopped providing any support after 12/31/09, so I just missed it. Do you still have the file you can email to me?

370 Posts

January 1st, 2010 12:00

I think you can use one of these if necessary: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18408&lang=eng

I don't have the one I downloaded for the Win 7 Release Candidate anymore. When I installed the final Win 7 upgrade package, I didn't need to add any drivers... Win 7 seemed to have everything I needed.

No Events found!