Highlighted
jsmorada
Bronze

Windows 7 Pro on Inspiron 11 3000

Jump to solution

I just bought a pair of Inspiron 11 3000's and am almost finished "down" grading the o/s from Windows 8 to 7 Pro. I have all of the drivers loaded and working except for a Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller (listed under Other devices). Can anyone help me find the Windows 7 driver for this? The Unknown Devices program shows it as Dell and Intel Corporation.

Thanks,

Jon

0 Kudos
24 Replies

RE: Windows 7 Pro on Inspiron 11 3000

Jump to solution

You are only allowed to downgrade if you have Windows 8 PRO.

0 Kudos
jsmorada
Bronze

Jump to solution

That's not answering my question. I have a legal copy of Windows 7 Pro and was told by Dell that it can be done. If you can't answer the question there's no point in making any other comments.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

That's not answering my question. I have a legal copy of Windows 7 Pro and was told by Dell that it can be done. If you can't answer the question there's no point in making any other comments.

Don't you mean you have two (2) LEGAL copies of Windows 7 Pro?

0 Kudos
jsmorada
Bronze

Jump to solution

four (4) LEGAL copies of Windows 7 Pro.

0 Kudos
schleeb
Bronze

Jump to solution

I'm trying to do the same... whatever OS (XP, Vista, Win7) that I try to install it always hangs on installation asking me to insert the disk with a DVD device driver on it.  I'm using an external DVD drive to do the installation. 

How were you able to get to the point you are at...  i.e. how did you do your install to this point?  Finding a USB driver shouldn't be that difficult.  When I get to that point I'll find a solution.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution
Hi Jon, Unfortunately they don't give a listing for the USB driver on their support page. I did some digging and found it was using these drivers from intel. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=22824 Most of the other drivers I got from intel as well. Good luck! Jason
jsmorada
Bronze

Jump to solution

Thanks Jason, that did it. However, when I ran the installer and rebooted the machine went bonkers trying to install the device drivers for everything I had connected to the USB ports (I had a USB hub in the mix as well). I ended up uninstalling the package, shutting down with all USB devices disconnected and manually installing the Intel USB drivers through device manager. Then I connected the devices one-by-one and after they successfully installed I did a couple reboots just to make sure everything was stable. Working like a charm now! Jon

0 Kudos
jake898
Silver

Jump to solution

Jon: thanks for starting this thread. I'm considering buying an Inspiron 11 and installing Windows 7 on it. It's good to know that it's possible!

Where did you find most of the drivers that you need for it? Within Dell Support it seems to only show drivers for Windows 8, Windows 8.1, and BIOS. Not Windows 7.

Also, did you need to purchase an external CD/DVD drive to help with installing any software?

Thanks for your assistance on this.

0 Kudos