Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 25th, 2012 20:00

Windows 8 on Inspiron Duo (Touch screen not working)

Hi.

I just did a fresh install of Windows 8 32bit on my Inspiron Duo but now the touch sensor is not working. The OS doesn't detect any touch-enabled screen.

Any ideas how I can fix this?

Thanks,

Harshen

2K Posts

October 26th, 2012 02:00

Hi Harshen,

Dell Inspiron DUO doesn’t support Windows 8 Operating system. However, since you have already installed it, I request you to follow the below steps:

Please check the touchscreen calibration by following the below steps:

(1) Click start

(2) Type Hardware and Sound in the search box

(3) Click on Tablet PC settings.

(4) Then Click on Calibrate.

If this doesn’t work, I request you to update all the drivers like Chipset, Video, Audio, Touchpad, Media Card Reader, Network, Webcam, Quickset and Wireless.

If this also doesn’t work you can do a Windows update.

If none of the above steps work please reinstall windows 7.

If you have further questions, request you to reply to the post.

6 Posts

October 26th, 2012 04:00

Everything were working fine in Windows 8 Release Preview.

2K Posts

October 26th, 2012 22:00

Hi Harshen,

I understand that the touchscreen was working with windows 8 release Preview. I request you to try the steps that I have mentioned in the above post, if you have tried please reply with the result and error code (if you get any).

6 Posts

October 27th, 2012 00:00

Hi.

The Tablet PC Setting is not even there.

2K Posts

October 30th, 2012 00:00

Hi Harshen,

This could mean that the Touchscreen is not getting detected as the Tablet PC Setting is missing. Please check in Device manager under other devices if the device is getting detected. Also make sure a complete windows update is done.

If this doesn’t work, reset BIOS to default by following the below steps:

(1) Turn on the computer, at the Dell logo keep tapping the F2 key.

(2) Using up/down arrow keys scroll down to Load setup Defaults and hit enter.

(3) Then follow the onscreen instructions and BIOS will be reset.

If this doesn’t work, please download the latest BIOS by following the below link:

http://dell.to/Rt51fI

If it still doesn’t work, please reinstall windows 7 and check if it works.

October 31st, 2012 13:00

Make sure you have a Win8 directly from MS (or from dell???) seems there are specific OEM versions which miss some particular drivers

Evan Camilleri

http://www.holistic.com.mt

http://www.dotnetmushroom.com

http://www.EvanCamilleri.com

2 Posts

November 2nd, 2012 08:00

Hi Harshen, Have you fixed this issue? I'm also a Dell Inspiron Duo owner and I'm reluctant to pay $500+ just to get a touch capability I already have. If this issue isn't fixed, my $500 will go to Apple's 4th Gen iPad instead.

4 Posts

November 2nd, 2012 14:00

I'd also like to add that the model is new enough to still be under warranty, once again reinforcing the disappointment that there won't be any Win8 drivers.

4 Posts

November 2nd, 2012 14:00

I did a fresh install of Win8 32bit on mine and everything works.  I do have several devices in device manager which don't have drivers.

The device works great, it's really crappy that Dell won't release windows 8 drivers for a device which is perfect for it.  

How about some links to devices which are win8 compatible which use similar hardware?

Of note, no drivers for Multimedia Controller and one labeled unknown device with hardware id of SMO8600.

The netbook doesn't detect tilt ether.  I also don't get multi touch abilities from the touchpad.

1 Message

November 2nd, 2012 15:00

I just got my Dell All-in-one 6 months ago in preparation for Windows 8 and the touch will not be supported. Nice...

I've a loyal Dell customer for years, but this new computer is horrible and apparently getting worse with minimal Windows 8 support.

6 Posts

November 2nd, 2012 15:00

Yes I installed Windows 8 PRO and all drivers are working properly, including touch.

Windows 8 OEMs have limited hardware features, hence touch wasn't working.

2K Posts

November 5th, 2012 05:00

Hi diegum,

I request you to follow the steps mentioned by me in the previous post and that should help.

4 Posts

November 5th, 2012 06:00

I got the Win7 drivers installed, but it still isn't 100%, which again leads me to my disappointment that a piece of hardware which is new enough to still be under warranty.  Add in the fact that this is a great choice of hardware to be used under Win8, it's sad that Dell isn't supporting it.  

It probably has more to do with the fact that the Win8 RT XPS box has a similar price point and isn't a full computer.  There isn't any price setting in the market, everyone just has the new win8 RT tablets for the same price by chance.

December 11th, 2012 08:00

I do not work for Dell, but I wanted to chime in as an end user.

I installed Windows 8 Pro on my Inspiron Duo, and it works FABULOUSLY. I haven't noticed any hiccups. All touch actions work, both in "Laptop" mode and with the screen flipped as a tablet. It has made my Duo like a brand new machine. Windows loads in seconds and is much more responsive. If I didn't hear the disk spinning, I would swear this was a Surface Pro tablet.

It makes me wonder if Dell got a little itchy with the trigger finger when discontinuing this product. They could have (currently) TWO of the only convertible machines running Windows 8 pro.

For the record, I did the online upgrade through Microsoft. There was an error message warning me that some features may not work because the Duo was not supported, but I decided to roll the dice.

I did have an installation hiccup. After going through all the steps Windows crashed on the first boot. It said "Windows 8 could not be installed" and the changes were rolled back to Windows 7. I simply started the process over again, waited, and VOILA. The 2nd install went fine.

If you have a Duo or are looking to purchase a used one (which is what I did) you can have a relatively inexpensive machine running Windows 8 pro very well.

2 Posts

December 12th, 2012 10:00

HI-

I just upgraded to Windows 8 Pro (I have an inspiron 1720) and now my touchpad is not working properly.  I went to hardware and sound, and the only device showing is a mouse.  How do I fix my touchpad so the scroll feature works again?

Thanks

No Events found!