Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

PC

November 8th, 2006 08:00

Worried about a BURNING smell from my NEW inspiron

Hello!
My inspiron 640m is new, just weeks from purchase. I smell something like burning plastic and it kind of worries me.
I have removed the battery and use the computer on the AC adaptor, and I put my computer on my desk and I have even elevate it to make sure the ventilation underneath is not blocked.
I am very worried if there is going to be a fire harzard or something.
Answers appreciated :smileysad:

2.5K Posts

November 8th, 2006 09:00

Have you checked to see if your battery has been recalled?  Go here to check that.  If it hasn't been recalled, I'd contact Dell Support.  Go to "Contact Us" at the bottom of the page and follow the prompts.  I'd suggest using Chat rather than calling.

Dave

November 8th, 2006 13:00

Dear davejohn,
Thanks for your reply. There is something I gotta state clear. I removed the battery and pluged it to AC as soon as I started using this computer (not just after the smell developed) so I think it has nothing to do with my battery. I am not sure if this is normal for a new computer or there is some kind of mechanical failure that may lead to "BANG!!!!" you know.

11.9K Posts

November 8th, 2006 15:00

Parmesan Cheese wrote:
Dear davejohn,
Thanks for your reply. There is something I gotta state clear. I removed the battery and pluged it to AC as soon as I started using this computer (not just after the smell developed) so I think it has nothing to do with my battery. I am not sure if this is normal for a new computer or there is some kind of mechanical failure that may lead to "BANG!!!!" you know.

If it were me, I would call Dell RIGHT NOW and inform them of the issue and request a brand new replacement machine.

November 9th, 2006 06:00

GET A REPLACEMENT MACHINE NOW!
No Events found!