Highlighted
Eirenarch
Silver

XPS 12 Duo, ghost images (screen burn-in) ?

I recently noticed ghost images on my Dell XPS 12 Duo. If a bright image on dark background stays on the screen for a couple of minutes and then I switch to somewhat dark background I can clearly see the previous image on the screen for some time before it fades away. Once I noticed it I started spotting even more subtle ghost images. I even managed to capture it in a picture with a low-end digital camera - http://imgur.com/a/RIYff (notice the tray icons clearly seen in the Win 8 start screen and even the facebook ad is visible). It is far more clear when you look at the actual screen and not on a picture. I already arranged replacement laptop (as I had other issues with this one) but yesterday I read news about mass defects in Apple's Retina MacBooks with practically the same issue. Now I wonder if it is possible that all Dell XPS 12 Duo screens have this problem. So anyone else seeing this on his machine?

Tags (1)
1,076 Replies
DeHoba
Bronze

Re: Has someone noticed ghost images (screen burn-in) on Dell XPS 12 Duo?

Yes, I have exactly the same problem. I get a new one...hope it is fixed there!
0 Kudos
Eirenarch
Silver

More interesting question - anyone NOT seeing this after looking for it because it is easy to overlook it if you never notice it.

0 Kudos

Yes same here - obvious "screen burn" of task bar icons, window close X, etc. Will keep an eye on it. I suspect it will be a warranty claim at some point if it gets any worse.

0 Kudos
Eirenarch
Silver

I got a replacement laptop (due to other problems) and the screen was fine but after a while it started manifesting ghost images again. They gradually became worse and worse. Frankly I wonder if any Dell XPS 12 screen is NOT affected by the issue.

0 Kudos
faical
Copper

I bought an XPS two months ago. It is really good machine, Win8 is great and it is very powerful for my software development needs but it started to get this ghosting issue too. I don't if it gets worse with time. Is there any workaround to this.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
rara123
Bronze

yes i have it too!! do you just ring dell up and ask for a replacement in the 1-year warranty period?

0 Kudos
Eirenarch
Silver

@rara123 you can do that but when I did I got another screen with ghost images. I don't know if there are screens which are will not get the ghost images at all

0 Kudos
DeHoba
Bronze

After getting a replacement machine and waiting 3 months Ghost images get back. So this seems to be "state-of-the-art" at Dell.

0 Kudos
Eirenarch
Silver

Since it seems like all displays have this defect (or develop it after a couple of months of usage) I wonder what will happen if we all start ordering replacements every 3 months...

0 Kudos