Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

May 1st, 2015 15:00

XPS 13 (9343)

Hi there,

I have a brand new Dell XPS 13 here, and it is a great little machine. Aside from the incredibly annoying content-dependent auto-brightness and moderate trackpad stupidity, I noticed the following behavior with the following scenario:

Close the lid while on battery and in a few minutes plug it in or even close the lid while plugged in. The system will accidentally (not all the time) go into hibernation in about three hours (as if it was never plugged in), i.e. will not wake up on opening the lid.

The event viewer confirms this, there are entries indicating that the system enters hibernation (I can post the exact text later, if needed).

The power settings are sleep > hibernation in 180 mins and 1080 mins when on battery and plugged in, respectively.

Is this normal? Anything to do?

Thanks.

18 Posts

May 2nd, 2015 16:00

There is more, and I noticed it kind of by accident while trying to play a Netflix video right after waking up the laptop on battery. The video plays at like 1 frame per second and in the event viewer I get the following warnings, always in groups of four, for each of the logical cores:

"The speed of processor is limited by system firmware"

I don't know if this is causes the Netflix playback issue (both in the app and in browser), but I certainly don't want to disable speedstep. Loaded BIOS (A03) defaults, the problem persists. I've had this laptop for like a week, and it's a $1200 item. Pretty disappointing...

17 Posts

May 2nd, 2015 23:00

I personally do not like Hibernation on any PC.

I use sleep instead. Shortcut for sleep below or you can set it in Power Options.

%windir%\System32\rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState

The below cmd will free up some disk space in the root directory

As It removes the .sys hibernation file.

Use at your own risk but it has worked for me on W7 & W8.1.

Bring up Admin cmd prompt.

type

Powercfg -H off

18 Posts

May 3rd, 2015 00:00

Sure, disabling hibernation altogether is an option. I just kinda got used to it with my previous laptop, which hated regular sleep. :)

I have a bit of a favor to ask of the of XPS 13 owners here, esp those with 9343. Could you all please search your system event log for occurrences of 

"is being limited by system firmware" ? 

I wonder if this is common, because Dell tech support at this point suggested that it isn't even considered a problem and is unrelated to the Netflix playback freezing.

Thanks.

18 Posts

May 4th, 2015 14:00

Just to bump and report that Dell tech support suggested these warnings about CPU speeds limited by firmware are likely normal behavior. I reinstalled BIOS (which was already A03), these warnings persist. Can anyone confirm? 

Thanks.

No Events found!