Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 15th, 2017 09:00

XPS 13 9350 touchpad not working

Hello

I recently bought XPS 13 9350, when I connect external mouse, touch pad after working for some time, get disabled, than only external mouse works.

It is over many weeks and DELL support has no clue on this issue.

I2C HID Device has following:

"This device cannot start. (Code 10)

A request for the HID descriptor failed"

Any suggestion/idea what should be done

9.4K Posts

February 17th, 2017 06:00

Hi aditya_varshney,

Thanks for posting.

Here is some information I found that may be helpful:

So what you need to do is: 1. Disable PTP drivers 2. Install generic drivers
Disabling PTP drivers: Go to device manager and locate "Human interface devices" node. Locate "HID-compliant touch pad" item and disable it. (To make sure, you may open device properties and on the Details tab, Hardware IDs property will have this line HID_DEVICE_UP:000D_U:0005 - this is how TPT reports itself). Now, in the same node, disable "I2C HID Device" item. Done. PTP is dead.
Installing generic Synaptics drivers: Download generic Synaptics driver here: http://dell.to/2lqpNnZ In device manager, go to "Mice and other pointing devices" node and locate your touchpad disguised as "PS/2 mouse". Select "Update driver" from context menu and make it hard way: "Browse my PC" -> "Let me pick it myself" -> "Have disk" -> point to folder where you have unpacked downloaded driver into (x64 subfolder, to be precise). Windows will say that driver is not compatible, but continue anyway. Press Yes. Reboot. You're on generic driver now. Scroll and 2/3/4-finger gestures are at your disposal.
During phase #2 Windows may complain about missing digital signature at driver's package (Synaptics' fault). There are 2 ways to circumvent it: 1. Disable driver signature enforcement (just google this whole phrase). This is easy but potentially creates security risk as from now any unsigned driver can be installed to the system. 2. Sign it with a valid certificate if you have one (also requires installed WDK). I did mine by signing .inf file with my company's certificate, but I'm not sure if I can redistribute it.
From my experience, precision of generic driver is inferior to PTP, but it's free of PTP bugs and offers all extended features Synaptics has to offer.

No Events found!