Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 29th, 2017 12:00

XPS 13 9360 freezes and shows "Hard Drive not installed"

I have a Dell XPS 13 9360, bought in 11/2016, still under warranty.

Windows 10 Home, all updates installed.

Every once in a while (irregular intervals, once a week to once a month), the laptop freezes, then restarts, enters BIOS, and shows a message "Hard Drive not Installed", then there is a status bar showing the diagnostics is being performed, and then the laptop shuts off. After I turn it on again, Windows boots and everything works normally. Otherwise, no problems with the laptop. I don't see any clear association between freezes and what kind of work is being performed or software being run. Sometime happens during heavy load, sometimes on idle.

Things seem to get better after every BIOS update, it doesn't happen for several weeks, but then starts again. Do you think this is just a BIOS problem that may get solved eventually by updates, or is it a hardware issue? Should I contact support and attempt to fix? I imagine it would be very difficult to troubleshoot because the problem is very intermittent. Is this a common problem for other 9360 users?

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

July 30th, 2017 09:00

I'd suggest you run diagnostic tool to check hard drive on the system. Please follow steps below:

1. Power off system. Remove all peripherals except AC adapter.

2. Power on system, quickly start tapping F12 key continuously until you see Preparing one time boot menu in the top right corner of the screen. In the boot menu, stroll down to Diagnostic and then click on it. After quick tests, click on Hard drive and then Thorough Test Mode. Report back any error code.

July 31st, 2017 19:00

Thanks for the suggestion - I ran the hard drive test as described, and no errors were found, all tests passed. Any other thoughts?

August 2nd, 2017 08:00

All drivers were up to date.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

August 2nd, 2017 08:00

Please type Device Manager onto [Cortana] search box, stroll down to Disk drive and expand it. Right click your system's drive and then update it. If you see any Firmware listed in device manager, I'd suggest you update it as well.

Dell Inspiron 3543:

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

August 3rd, 2017 09:00

My apology for the late response....

Since this happen once a week to once a month, I am wondering if the system is connected to a wall outlet or cheap power strip surge protector? If yes, a power surge or lights turning off and on during a bad storm could be causing the error code. Please check out the link below:

The Effects Power Outages Can Have On Your Computer

If this isn't the case, I suggest you check for the latest firmware on the drive manufacturer site.

For example: If system has the SanDisk X400 Series Solid State Drive, you could then install SanDisk SSD Dashboard to check for the latest firmware. You could check for further troubleshooting on the drive as well.

X400 SSD Support Information Page - SanDisk

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

August 3rd, 2017 09:00

I also like to suggest you backup the system's data, files, music and all your important stuffs to either a external drive or to a backup software such as Acronis.

Backup Software & Data Protection Solutions - Acronis 

Lastly, please contact Technical Support for further assistance in the link below:

Contact Information | Dell US

2 Posts

August 12th, 2017 13:00

Hi, I get the same issue as "viktorfeketa".

Dell XPS 13 9360 , with PM961 Samsung SSD 256 GB. Laptop works most of the time with no issues. But during a month use, it stuck around 3 times . It went out of windows and showed bios message "Hard Drive - Not installed". I think it happend when the screen was off - like nobody was using laptop. I checked if maybe when it tries to turn off it happens. But when i did tests - everythink was ok.

Preiously windows had something like time when the hard disks are off - I thought about it - but it seems like this doesnt exists when one uses ssd probably.

My bios is 2.1.0 most recent. As well as all drivers. It happend before with previous versions of bios. Dell did not have idea what's going on. They asked me to do test from bios level - f12. It showed no issues.

So nobody knows what's going on. I don't have much time to give laptop to dell for warranty repair.

I should have bought macbook pro probably ... :)

2 Posts

August 12th, 2017 13:00

Did someone resolve the issue ?

No Events found!