Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

G

February 5th, 2015 18:00

XPS 13 Ultrabook screen going haywire!!!! Please Dell....someone...weigh in

Hi.  I have a 2 year old XPS 13 ultrabook.  Running Windows 7 64 bit.  For the past year it will suddenly lock up and the screen goes all scrambled.  The scrambling is dynamic...it isn't a frozen screen...it is pulsing and squiggling and I can still see the desktop a little behind all the noise (see attached photo) but I CANT ctrl-alt-del nor can I see the mouse cursor moving....so I know it is frozen.  When this happens, I have to manually force a shutdown with power button.  On power up, everything is fine....until the next time!!!!   Last year, it happened every once in a while (1 per month or so) but lately it is happening 1 or more times per week.  Totally random times too.

I have done the following:

uninstalled and reinstalled all Dell recommended video drivers

Updated BIOS to latest rev.

Checked to see if it does this on an external screen....it DOES so it isn't the LCD

Uninstalled potential problem programs (adobe flash, norton, firefox, etc.)

Please someone help!  Is this a video card issue?  Mainboard?  Software?  Is it an overheating issue?  Temps are in the high 60's to high 50's most of the time (Celsius)

Eagerly awaiting a DELL response here....as this laptop is only 2 years old and I don't believe this should be happening.

Sincerely,

Geoff

1 Attachment

1 Message

August 20th, 2015 18:00

i have same issue; same model.  started after first year.  if i whack it on the bottom and/or back of screen, often times it works for a little while after.

No Events found!