Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 23rd, 2011 00:00

XPS 15 (L502X) Not connecting via HDMI to LCD TV

With this new xps, I'm quite frustrated at not getting any connection to an RCA HDTV.  After talking to a tech support person for well over an hour and having him drive my machine, reinstall drivers, etc., I am left with the option of sending the unit back to have the motherboard replaced?

Geez anyone knows how long it takes to get a new laptop with a different OS (Win7) set up and working the way you want with all your favorite software, etc.!  And to have to go through that again after waiting who knows how long to get it back?  Seeing the other problems  people have had getting their HDMI connections to work, I have a hard time believing this isn't just a matter of someone getting the darn thing configured right.

Granted, I do need to drag my laptop off to test it on someone else's monitor or TV to make sure it's not the cable or my tv, but the tv works fine in all other respects and the cable is new and high quality.

Anyone with other suggestions?  I've already tried about everything with display settings, connection and power-up sequences - all to no avail. 

LochVT

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

April 23rd, 2011 14:00

You should check all the simple stuff if you haven't already. Make sure you change the input on the TV to HDMI video. Then check that your computer sees the TV in Display. Press the hotkey for external monitor on your keyboard--usually F1 F2 or F3 depending on model. It will have an icon on it for a monitor or something similar. 

You should not have spent much on an hdmi cable. You can buy it online for less than $10. Amazon is a good source. Appliances store use these cables to make a huge profit.

8 Posts

April 23rd, 2011 15:00

Yes, thanks Mary, but I've tried all that.  It would have been too long a msg to list all the hoops I've jumped through.  Although we did get the display to list 2. Monitor (or something like that), there was still no picture.  There was also never an icon or any other recognition of an hdmi being connected.  When I buy cables in general I try to get decent ones - not the best, but something reputable.  Usually use cables-to-go and this cable is a Velocity brand that's not too expensive.  It says 10.2 Gbps, but not whether it's v1.3 or 1.4 - don't know the difference anyway.  Display settings were tried with duplicate etc., also (Fn + F1 on my xps).  The F8 toggle didn't work either.

Input appreciated.  Just thought I'd send out a general SOS regarding the issue.  Send a flag up the pole and see who shoots at it.

I would like to know how to check to see if the sys is recognizing the port at all as being connected (without plugging anything in), as that would suggest a problem right up front.

3.6K Posts

April 23rd, 2011 18:00

You said you have tried multiple things have you opened the nVidia control panel "set up multiple displays" does this show 2 displays?If so,select the external display to either, duplicate, or extend.What happens?And make sure your T.V input is set to HDMI 1,or HDMI 2.

8 Posts

April 23rd, 2011 20:00

Well Dgkpcon, that was worth a try although I'm sure the tech who took over my laptop for 2 hrs. tried that also.  When selecting duplicate, another monitor shows up as an analog output on the Nvidia screen and shows as a Vga out on the desktop resolution screen.  I tried to get the Nvidia option to force a tv detection to show up, but it remains disabled.  When switching to a lower resolution during this exercise I got a blank desktop (background and nothing else).  This also happened when I tried duplicate.  Could not see any mouse movements or change anything.  Had to power down/up to get my screen back.  Regardless, nothing on the tv.  And yes, I do know what tv input I'm using ;-).  Tried hdmi2 also for the heck of it.  Had tried all this from the desktop/screen resolution also after setting the display to dupe or extend before with no results, except my screen didn't blank out.  Strange cat here. 

Thx

4 Posts

April 26th, 2011 00:00

And you've tried all resolutions for the TV?  You can adjust the resolution on each device separately.  I once had a problem where the TV would not display a thing even though the laptop detected it.  It turned out to be a refresh/timing and resolution output by the laptop that the TV didnt like.

But, as you mentioned, try it on another TV.  And try different connector types if you can (VGA,DVI).

6 Posts

October 12th, 2011 11:00

I'm having the EXACT same problem. I got the laptop first like a month ago and it crashed on the second day of using it, there was some sort of problem with the video card. I had to send ti back and get a new one, but before I sent it out I tried the HDMI port and it didn't work. Now that I got the new one, I tried the HDMI port and it didn't work either.

8 Posts

October 12th, 2011 22:00

Thanks for the feedback.  After posting my hdmi problem, I took my xps to a techie to have him test the hdmi to a different tv.  This tv was an old 32" toshiba (about the same age as my rca) and the connection worked.  The xps screen was immediately picked up by the other tv with no adjustments.  After that, the picture could be adjusted by the nvidia settings, etc.  Long story short, it seemed as if my rca just wouldn't accept the hdmi signal from the xps, so the problem was with the tv.  Sounds like you have a different problem. If you've tested the basics such as selecting the correct input on your tv and perhaps the right settings on your xps, then try a different tv before anything esle and good luck!  Like I said, when connected to a different tv, there was nothing I had to do, the image just appeared on the tv with no hassles.

6 Posts

October 12th, 2011 23:00

Oh ok. Thank you. I'll try it in a different tv, the problem is that I'm in college and the tvs in the dorms are about as old as the tv I tested the laptop with. I hope I can solve it like you did.

1 Message

November 25th, 2011 23:00

Im having the same problem.. my L501x (xps) connected to my TV via HDMI when i first got it.... i reformatted my OS with Win7 Enterprise and now it doesn't work. I'm thought it may be a driver problem.. but i reinstalled all of them and still nothing.  

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!

Thanks

6 Posts

November 26th, 2011 02:00

Hmm that is weird. I wouldn't know what the problem is. You should try posting about it at "tech support guy forums", they have helped me with other problems before. Good luck!

6 Posts

April 6th, 2012 14:00

I have the same problem. Someone told me it was because the laptop was too advanced lol. Did you try it on a new or an old tv?

3 Posts

April 6th, 2012 14:00

Did anyone get this resolved. i have a 2 month old XPS 502x xps15) and experiencing the same symptoms.

i have another xps 13 laptop and it works perfectly on the same tv and cable.

thanks

t

8 Posts

April 6th, 2012 15:00

See my latest post above - try another tv first, perhaps an earlier version of hdmi on your old :-\ tv.

8 Posts

You are welcome  iwoodcraft.  Good luck.

6 Posts

Thanks LochVT. Yeah I don't understand why would it matter if it is an hdmi new or old...

No Events found!