Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

S

October 11th, 2008 16:00

XPS 1530 - Hard drive problem

Hi,

its been only few months since i got XPS 1530 notebook and i'm already having problems with. Just yesterday i put some download and left it like that, when i tried to work on the laptop in the morning the screen just freezed for a moment and then it restarts with an error message hard drive not detected, looks like there is lot of heating problem with this laptop. talk about customer service 24x7, i already sent serveral mails on speaker problem when it was new, till now i didn't get any response. when i call i hear the same repeated automated message 'Blah blah'.
  did anyone get hard drive problem and had it fixed?

187 Posts

October 11th, 2008 17:00

Hi,

Is it everytime you turn on your computer it does that or every other time? Did you download the new A09 Bios? Look in you manual and look up Dell factory image restore. I believe you press F7 or f8 on start up. What program did you download that cause this problem?

Message Edited by wildhogs3 on 10-11-2008 01:21 PM

1 Message

March 13th, 2011 21:00

Hi,

Yes i have had my share of problems with this laptop! Many review I read are plain awful, many are good.

Since i've had this machine which is about 3 years. I had to replace HD 3 times!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

First time it failed, when machine went to hybernation state (or as I thought what happened)the screen was black and it would not start no matter what i did.

eventually it started when i called Dell support, i had a blue screen with error codes. Dell said its hard drive failure, they made me run diagnostics and memory test no errors messages were found. They shipped me a new HD for no cost. All my files were lost.

After almost a year it also failed, it was making noise and overheating as always. I used my laptop as my primary computer so it is on a lot. I have not dust inside of it, I cleaned it thouroughly, bought 1 Tb external HD to back up my files just in case and also got a plastic tray with 2 fans running underneath it to cool it off it still gets too hot, my hand literaly hurts from being on the laptop and typing because of hit this machine produces. There were no error messages or any warnings either excpet the noise HD was making. I was able to recover most of my data my  freezing HD and then plugging it in the Desktop and having fan blow on it as I quickly copy my data. I called Dell support they told my waranty on laptop expired so they helped me to buy a new HD from Wester Digital with 2 yr waranty.

I have received it on March 18 2010. Today (March 13 2011) it failed again! this time i have noticed that my laptop will restart while i am watching a movie or working on  it. It will flash a blue screenwith some codes on it so fast that i cant write it down. It either restarts or shuts down andI have to start back up. It was annoying but all checks i performed on it came out alright. I think it is overheating and making my hard drive fail. Or Dell gave me 3 bad HDs in a row.... This time when i ran diagnostics i had 2 error codes 2000-0142 and 2000-0146. after reading online about it and calling Dell I am pretty sure it is failing or already failed. I was able to recover just 1 folder of doc-nts of f of it. The Windows would not start, HD is corrupt and has bad sections on it. I had 2 OS running on it, the other one was working fine even after failure. Windows freezes and would not let me do anything. I can not even start it in safe mode it hangs on log in screen. I am waiting on new hard drive in the mail now from Western Digital. But really how many more HD will this machine waste?

I am not satisfied with it at all. I play games but nothing super heavy nothing that this machine would not handle. My mom has a Dell Inspiron a cheaper smaller laptop, that never had any issues (she had it over 2 yrs) it runs quiatly and much cooler. It also had Toshiba brand HD in it that never failed.

In my understanding my laptop has faulty parts that were put into it. Other xps m 1530 owners dont have so many problems with it. Other explanaition is that Dell screwed up with designing this particular model, they did not test it long enough before releasing.

I am so frustrtred with this laptop . And my waranty is expired long ago so there is no way on earth they will replace the whole thing or the motherbord.

I will not recommend this laptop for anyone. Next time I buy something it will not be Dell.

I hope your issue indeed will be resolved and wish you will not have to go through the issues I encountered.

No Events found!