Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 18th, 2011 09:00

XPS 17 (L702x) fan control is not configured quite right.

Hi,

Many more do have the same problem is i do:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/dell-xps-studio-xps/565548-dell-xps-17-l702x-fan-control.html

But i can't really fix it except using a beta of SpeedFan and then fixing the RPM on 2800 (it won't go lower)

The problem is that somehow the XPS wants to be to silent (or something like that). Why do i say that? Because many times it fan is completely turned off, which is in my eyes just wrong, For such a laptop the fans shouldn't really be turned of, but always working a bit (or if the temps are really really low)

Currently when not really doing anything (even when completely idle). The fans are turned off, but then suddenly they start up (above 3000 which is very noisy) and it does that every 5 minutes or so.

When i looked into it a bit more it is because even when in idle and the fans don't do anything the temp of the gpu (for most part) and cpu are steadily rising, Then suddenly the blower things now they are to hot and they start to do there job way to aggressive and go to speeds that are way beyond 3000.

I think what should happens is something like this

max(cpu/gpu) < 35 = silent

max(cpu/gpu) < 45 = 1000RPM

max(cpu/gpu) < 50 = 2500RPM

max(cpu/gpu) > 60 = MAX RPM

i have now the fan running all the time at around 2800 by using SpeedFan and now the the CPU is around 40C and the GPU 34C

11 Posts

April 21st, 2011 09:00

Hi,

How do you fix ventilos whith Speedfan ?

Because i can't with the version beta 4.44.

When Speedfan is on, my mouse cursor freezes on the screen every 5 seconds.

10 Posts

April 21st, 2011 15:00

yes that is somehow a problem with all the tools that query constantly for sensor info (HWINFO32 has the same problem)

But just enable the dell support, then set the fan speed on the main page to 50% so that it fixes on 2800RPM and close speedfan.

then it will keep running in 2800RPM, thats a bit to loud but is better then every now and then 3400->4000rpm...

11 Posts

April 22nd, 2011 10:00

Where should we go to resolve Ventilos to 2800 RPM? In fact I see the 50%, I put 30% for office use / internet is sufficient or overheating? When I put 35% the fan is too noisy.
When I close SpeedFan, the Ventilos continue to run smoothly? Even if SpeedFan is no longer running?

Thank you

10 Posts

April 24th, 2011 02:00

if you say 30% then it is 0RPM so thats not an option

currently speedfan has 3 modes 0-35 = 0 RPM, 35 - 70 = 2800 RPM, 70 -100 = 4000RPM

there is no middle way, so the only way that i find out to make it just consistent (and yes it is a bit to loud but it is better then nothing, even louder,nothing, even louder)

is to set it somewhere in the 35-70% range so that it is fixed on 2800.. If you see speedfan writing to the bios (or what ever it is writing to and the 2800 is something you see now, you can close speedfan)

11 Posts

July 8th, 2011 04:00

Still no news for fan ? With a new bios ?

29 Posts

September 27th, 2011 21:00

For the record I ordered this  laptop today after speaking at length with a sales rep who in turn was talking with support staff.  My main concern was the noisy fans and heat I've read so much about.  I was told the fix is a change to a bios setting so it doesn't sound as if the most recent bios has the correct setting by default.

12 Posts

October 23rd, 2011 03:00

Ummmm...Guys?

Have you ever thought of addressing all these concerns directly to Dell?

If you address your thread post directly to Dell personnel rather than talking amongst yourselves, there might be a greater chance of them responding. Just a hint from my own experience.

59 Posts

March 12th, 2012 16:00

I have some possible light to shed on this issue, though no solution:

1) I received my XPS17 laptop in July 2011, and had no fan problems. It was both the quietest and coolest laptop I'd ever owned.

2) Last week a technician came out and replaced the motherboard, audio board, USB board and camera (for problems not related to fans or temperature). Ever since then, I've been getting the kind of fan problems described in this thread. Fan coming on full speed every couple of minutes and running for a long time. Huge difference from the way it was prior to the board replacement. I updated the BIOS to A16 - no dfference, except that now I get a power supply error on boot!

3) The fact that my fan was perfect for 9 months, then became a problem immediately after a motherboard replacement, suggests to me that the problem is not instrinsic to the XPS design, but occurs only on certain systems. In other words, it may be a quality control issue - flaky motherboard/chipsets, bad fans, improper heatsink installation, etc.

1 Message

August 16th, 2012 22:00

Hi Cris, I have had the same issue with the fan, it all started when my camera & ethernet port was playing up and they came and replaced a number of things(Motherboard,, fan ect). I was wondering if you have contacted dell, to see if they are to rectify the problem Thanks

No Events found!