Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

B

6 Posts

August 24th, 2008 21:00

XPS 1730 Fan/CPU problem.

Hi,

Bought and recieved a new looking xps 1730 from dell outlet about 11 days ago.
I was using the laptop as normal, I left it for 10mins while i used my desktop and then i noticed that the Laptop started making very unusual fan noises, It keeps speeding up and stopping constantly non stop with varying intervals between and blows out heat from the rear left side. On top of that the system performance went slow and the LCD CPU usage can vary between 1-100% idle.

It does this even when i power up the Laptop at the start, before even the dell bios screen appears, its very constant, so i dont think its vista or software related.

Any ideas? As of now seems like a faulty hardware inside.

Also as a side question if i need to return this back I might rather have a full refund instead of a fix, is this possible? Since i've had it for about 11 days now.

Thanks.

3.6K Posts

August 24th, 2008 21:00

Well to answer the last question first,your 21 days includes the shipping time/days also.So from the day it shipped to now is the length you have had it.

I would suggest running the diagnostics,f12 at boot,select extended test(after the first set of tests run)then select system tree,here you can select to run test on the fans to see if they are faulty or not.

August 24th, 2008 22:00

Just to add, the system performance is very poor now, very slow, takes a lot of time to do anything.
Entering into Processor Info on Bios shows the Current clock speed go from 1.20ghz to as lowest as 192 mhz.
While minimum is 1.20, and max is 2.50 ghz.

How long is that First Diagnostic tests suppose take? I Pressed ESC after an hour hoping that I could skip to the fan test, but i was wrong. the CPUs @ Memory test takes ages.

any help greatly appreciate it, but somehow I think this system is dead, No wonder dell outlet was cheaper lol.

3.6K Posts

August 24th, 2008 22:00

usually it took me about 60-70 minutes tops.

The outlet is a good place to buy,i have bought 4 from there.If you are reffering that they are junk because they are on the outlet,you are wrong.

Once the memory test finishes,be patient,i know that is hard to do when your system is acting up.But when done you will be able to select extended test.

August 25th, 2008 01:00

This is very strange.
After leaving it for 2 hours (slow diagnostic because of cpu problems) I came back to find that the Fan had stopped making the noise and the FAN tests were all OK after.

CPU seems to be at steady 2.5ghz now on bios so performance seems well.

I just dont understand how it broke and fixed itself again, maybe something little went into the fans?
For the moment its fixed, I just hope it will not be a recurring thing.

3.6K Posts

August 25th, 2008 01:00

When you run the test on the fans,it turns them off,and back on again.It could have re-set them.

I am glad to see everything,for the time being,is working properly.

keep your eye on though.

Message Edited by dgkpcon on 08-24-2008 10:59 PM

August 25th, 2008 02:00

Maybe, but the noise had actually gone on the Memory test stage.
Also there was something definately wrong with the CPU's Clock speed it doesnt seem like just a fan problem.

But its all working at the moment, thats the important thing.

Thanks!

3.6K Posts

August 25th, 2008 02:00

No problem.

No Events found!