Highlighted
LucianZ
Copper

XPS M1330 Nvidia 8400 heat and fan noise problem

Hy everybody,

Can anyone help me with the next problem? I have update my Nvidia 8400 GS driver and since than the fan is spinning arround all the time, without stop. I rolled back driver, to an older version, but no help.

Thank you

0 Kudos
67 Replies
noou
Copper

Re: XPS M1330 Nvidia 8400 heat and fan noise problem

Me and many other user have the same problem. The bad news are that there is no solution, unless you modify the heat sink of your M1330 (known as copper mod).

Personally, I will never do that!! Dell should fix this disappointing issue by replacing the badly designed heat sinks for free!

I also tried to any possible combinations of video drivers / bios with no relevant change.

Despite the fan always running like and the noise being very loud, the GPU (and the whole laptop) becomes incredibly hot just browsing the web! Watching a film is even worse and I never tried a 3D game but I fear that would be lethal!

I wrote Dell support more than 7 days ago complaining about the issue, and I NEVER received a reply! My laptop is still covered by warranty and I find their behaviour unacceptable!

0 Kudos
steviehg
Bronze

Me too 

Hi, Same thing happened to my XPS 1330, first on Sat Morning it would not boot and displayed multi-coloured vertical lines down the screen, I eventually got it to boot after undergoing a recovery routine and then downloaded those same updates, result was the fan noise and laptop behaving strangely after the nVidia update.  The fan noise eventually went away but the system is still unstable with it rebooting and powering off, I have seen other posts with similar problems so there definately looks to be a generic issue regarding the nVidia update.

0 Kudos
noou
Copper

remark: starting from bios A11, Dell introduced a "thermal control" improvement which actually means "your fan will be almost always running at medium to max speed". This is because nvidia publicly announced that a serious issue with the 8400 chip. See http://en.community.dell.com/blogs/direct2dell/archive/2008/08/18/nvidia-gpu-update-dell-to-offer-warranty-enhancement-to-all-affected-customers-worldwide.aspx

also, I noticed that if one updated bios to A13 without updating the video driver, the fan countinuosly switches from max to min speed. Dell doesn't tell anything about that...

Since I guess the heat issue is unsolvable, I'll ask Dell to replace the nvidia GPU with the rubbish Intel x3100... At least that way the laptop wouldn't make all that noise and I could hold it in my lap (isn't it a laptop?)

0 Kudos
dirkyp
Copper

Do you have the A12 BIOS?  If so Dell has modified it so that the fan runs pretty much all the time because the Nivida GPUs have a well documented design flaw that almost guarantees they will blow up eventually.  The problem is caused by heat so now they make the fan run all the time to delay the point where the card will fail - hopefully out of the warranty period.   Also has the benefit of draining your battery much faster. 

Just do a Google search for "m1330 nvidia flaw" and read through one of the 3,000 hits. 

We bought 3 of these things  - 2 of the 3 have had the motherboard and GPU replaced TWICE for this issue. 

Shameful. 

0 Kudos
Magnabolia
Copper

Send a message to Dell. Nothing I've tried worked, and I have the same problems: fan-issues, to hot laptop, and graphical problems.

0 Kudos
noou
Copper

update from my side: I called Dell, they sent a technician who changed the heat sync, the fan and the motherboard. as for the last one I really don't know why... in my understanding there's no difference from this and the previous motherboard, and my nvidia 8400 had not fried (yet?)

in the end it seems that, apart from the innate flaw of the 8400 chip, my heat sync and fan were completely obstructed by dust and dirt. very strange: I bought the machine at the end of march... while my old laptop's fan works perfectly after more than 4 years...

now let's hope that the new motherboard/nvidia chip are not flawed...

0 Kudos
steviehg
Bronze

My latest is that the motherboard was replaced this week and now I am on A12, (previously A11) though I noted today on the download section we are up to A14, new motherboard also looks to have the same flawed Nvidia chip, so if that fails I will be more than disappointed and will be forced to lodge a complaint.  No complaints though with the call centre staff, or the eng that attended to fix the thing, they must be bearing the brunt of customer disatisfaction.  It will be interesting to complete my customer satisfaction survey over the weekend......... and what news of a warranty extension?

Cyrus87
Copper

I bought my M1330 two days ago and after I updated my BIOS to A11 and also my graphic card (GForce 8400 GS) the problem occured. Dell might have put the update so that the graphics card doesnt burn out by keeping the fan running at max all the time. For those who dont care about this, just see the link below:

http://www.evanclosson.com/devlog/dellxpsm1330fanstuttering

I just updated my BIOS to A12 from the Dell website and the fan went back to normal... lets hope nothing happens to my graphics card..

Hope it works for you guys...

0 Kudos
Magnabolia
Copper

My fan stoped to overrun itself after updating Bios to a12, but the graphical problem is still there - and after 30 minutes using, the machine is still extremly hot. The only thing left now is to send it to Dell, since I tried everything els.

0 Kudos