Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

5 Posts

September 23rd, 2005 04:00

XPS M170 pointing stick?

I know this question has been brought up in terms of the Inspiron 9300, but in looking at the new XPS M170 (replaces Inspiron XPS Gen 2,) it would seem there is still no pointing stick.  Does anyone know if the XPS keyboard can be swapped out for one that has a pointing stick?

It just seems so dissapointing that a laptop as expensive as the XPS Gen 2 or M170 doesn't have something as simple as a pointing stick.  Add this to the lack of a push-button release for the CD drive, line in port, HDMI, etc. a docking bay port, and other various "smaller" features.  What's the deal?  On a supposed "Lexus Line" laptop, why are we being cheated out of the extras that can make a difference?  My current Inspiron 8100 is old, but it can take an extra CD drive or battery in ADDITION to the normal CD drive and battery, it has infrared, it has a line-in port, it has legacy serial/lpt ports, it has a POINTING STICK in addition to the touchpad, the primary battery bay and the secondary CD/battery bay is released by a simple push of a button (as opposed to a screw,) it has TWO PCMCIA slots, it has the capability to attach to a docking station, etc.  I just don't get why all those useful features were removed for the new high-end laptops, especially when some of the lower end models DO have them.

Thoughts, or even better, any information on if any future laptops after the M170 will add back any of this stuff (especially the pointing stick)?

21 Posts

June 14th, 2006 01:00

I am also looking for any laptop with a pointing stick.  I have spoken to several different people at Dell and all they tell me is Dell stopped using them about 2 years ago and has no plans to start again.  My Inspiron 8200 has the pointing stick which I got used to and now I am very reluctant to buy a new laptop because of the lack of the pointing stick.  I can't understand why anyone would use anything else when the pointing stick saves so much time and reduces hand moverment drastically.  IBM/Lenovo does still have the pointing stick but their laptops are simply not powerful enough for most of my needs.

If anyone knows anything about getting a new Dell which a stick point, please let me know.  Or any info about a decent laptop available with a stickpoint.

No Events found!