Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 22nd, 2010 11:00

XPS M1730 0% not charging

Hi, my battery light on the right hand corner is blinking orange and I have 0%  life  from  98  last night before I logged off! ive been having these types of issues for  a while now!  seems tho its staying at 0% now... 

It's saying it's charging" but nothing is happening! my son said he logged on one morning and got a message while starting up telling him something about wattage and telling him to press f1 so he did! but he can't remember what else it said... blah... anyways im wondering   if its a    battery    problem    or  a    power adapter   problem?   or somesthing   else?

Can  anyone  help  me  with this   please  before I  order...

Thx!!

1 Message

February 22nd, 2010 13:00

It seems like this is a common problem with the M1730. I have to hit F1 everytime I turn it on. It says I have the wrong 230w power adpater but it came with the computer. Dells solution is to by a new power adpater. You would think after spending alot of money on a system like this and it seems everyone who owns one is having this problem they would do more then this. Kind of makes you wonder.

37 Posts

February 22nd, 2010 13:00

bump, please...

37 Posts

March 2nd, 2010 10:00

thanks a lot, I ordered the adpater, got it today and the orange blinking is gone but the laptop is still not charging :c( does  anyone have any ideas? in the bio it says the battery is good...

March 2nd, 2010 11:00

If it makes you feel any better ... my Alienware M17xR2 is having the same basic issues. We have tried 4 battery chargers and two batters and TWO laptops and it still is doing it. I am being sent another battery now ... hopefully that works

1.8K Posts

March 2nd, 2010 12:00

thanks a lot, I ordered the adpater, got it today and the orange blinking is gone but the laptop is still not charging :c( does  anyone have any ideas? in the bio it says the battery is good...

Leaf, which BIOS version are you running?   Lastest is A10.   I'm interested to know if you're up to that version or not, since normally a BIOS update tends to resolve these types of issues.   Let me know.

Todd

37 Posts

March 2nd, 2010 16:00

Hi Todd! thanks so much for the reply..  I got this message when I tryed to update the BIOS just now.. :(

The battery must be charged above 10% before the system BIOS can be Flashed

Pess OK when the battery is charged or CANCEL to quit.

:(  badd day..

any ideas?

March 4th, 2010 12:00

Do these laptops have the same options as the Alienware where Alt f2 will toggle the battery on or off?

1.8K Posts

March 4th, 2010 13:00

The adapter ends, the ones that plug into the system, have a little pin on the inside of them.   Those pins control whether the adapter charges the battery or not, and (I think ) whether the system recognizes it.   Check your adapter to see if that pin is bent or broken.

37 Posts

March 5th, 2010 05:00

It's a brand new adapter and  the ends on both adapter and laptop are fine.. I would have bought a battery but i thought for sure it was the adapter.. I dont have the money for a battery ATM, almost 200 all said and done! ill have to wait and hope that is  the problem! otherwises I guess my xps days are over ;(  this was a replacement laptop because my other XPS laptop was always breaking ect.

37 Posts

March 5th, 2010 06:00

yeah it's Fn-f3 and it says the battery is performing normally but both total battery charge and primary both are 0% and " charging" yet nothing!

539 Posts

March 5th, 2010 07:00

Go into BIOS setup - and load the page where it displays the AC adapter. If it says like "90W" or "60W" installed it's seeing the adapter, if not its says something like "not recognized adapter" or something.

Now the field "90W" should be real-time updated - meaning the BIOS screen changes instantly when plugging in / removing the adapter

Slowly turn the plug in the jack, unplug/insert, move a bit up/down left/right. If you see the "90W" suddenly appear it's a contact issue.

Assuming the AC adapter is brand-new, i'd say it's either a DC jack issue or a motherboard issue.

To see if the battery is properly recognized, go into power options, then power meter and click on the battery icon.

If the pop-up window shows bogus battery info - there could be an issue with laptop battery communication over the SMB.

1.8K Posts

March 5th, 2010 07:00

For customers with the M1730 and adapters that are not being recognized / not charging the batteries can you please PM me with the ID number of your adapters?

Those ID numbers are a 20 digit alphanumeric number.   They normally start with a two letter combination and most should start with the letters CN or JP.   It could be different letter combinations for those adapters, but I'm not positive.  Haven't seen one of those adapters personally.

You can PM me by clicking on my blue user name and selecting the option to send a message.   Please put "1730 adapter not recognized" or something similar in the subject line, and be advised I'm only collecting data at this point and not troubleshooting or replacing any components.  I will pass that information along to our engineering teams and hopefully they'll be able to correlate any common factors between the affected adapters, if there is one.

March 7th, 2010 00:00

I'm having the "Adapter not recognized" problem too.  My battery still seems to be charging OK.  I have the updated BIOs A10.  I PMed Todd S the ID Number from the back of the adapter.

1.8K Posts

March 8th, 2010 11:00

Thanks to those that sent me their ID numbers.   I've been so tied up with some of the video lock up issues I had forgotten about this, but if anyone else would like to send me their IDs I would appreciate it.

Todd

2 Posts

May 3rd, 2010 17:00

I ALREADY SEND THE NUMBER BUT I'M UNSURE THAT'S THE PROBLEM

No Events found!