Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

November 30th, 2017 22:00

XPS13 Version 9350 AND 9360 - Battery Draining

Hi,

I have both version of XPS 13 9350 and 9360.

I fully charge the battery to 100% and then shutdown the computers and turn it off. 

If I start them again after 2 days I have lost ca 10% of battery charge - only 90% charge left, although they were completely turned off (no standby!) ....

After a week without turning on, I lose 20-25% of charge. As written without working on the XPS 13. 

I also have a Dell Latitude 7280 from work and it loses only 4% charge within a week. This seems normal in my opinion.

The battery was exchanged for the 9350 by Dell but this have brought nothing. Something drains battery on the two XPS when switched off.

Someone have an idea or can even report how it is with you?

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

December 1st, 2017 16:00

:emotion-2:

When the two computers are power off, both of them are connected to a AC adapter or docking station? Any peripherals connected to the system?

26 Posts

December 3rd, 2017 21:00

no ac adapter , no docking station , no peripherals... just fully loaded and then "rest" to observe battery drain

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

December 4th, 2017 09:00

I'm assuming windows 10 is on both computers.....

Right click widows icon (or right click battery icon), select Power Options, Choose What The Power Buttons Do and then select Change Settings That Are Currently Unavailable. In the When I Press The Power Button setting, select Shut down on both On battery and Plugged in, and then click Save Changes. If that step doesn't work, I suggest turning off  "Turning On Fast Startup" in power options to see if that will make any difference.

26 Posts

December 4th, 2017 21:00

yes - windows 10 pro is running on both.

all power settings are already on shut down

(i do know the difference between the modes shut down, energy saving and hibernate)

i'll will give the "Turn on fast startup" a try and will report

btw: Bios is on 2.3.1 (latest Version)

26 Posts

December 11th, 2017 02:00

i would appreciate if other XPS13 Users can report their XPS behavior when system is shut down completely and system is not used for one day or longer. how much battery charge does your system consuming?

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

December 11th, 2017 06:00

Different models of the XPS 13 may have different configurations so there may be different things at work.

How much, per hour, does the battery drain when shut down?  How do you shut it down and has this always been the case?  How old are the systems?

26 Posts

December 11th, 2017 06:00

9350 is two years old, 9360 is 3 month old, both i7 with SSD and 16GB RAM. both loose about 4-5% a day or about 20% a week. complete shut down - no energy saving or hibernate shut down. no peripherals connected to the system. Also have a latitude 7280 which looses just 4% a week!

And, yes it is always the case

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

December 11th, 2017 11:00

If I assume an 8 hour period is involved in your battery drain of, it is less that the one situation of which I am aware.

Since I don't really track my drain, I will do that for the next few hours on one of my new system and see how it behaves.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

December 11th, 2017 20:00

I shutdown my 9365 with 98% battery remaining.  I booted it up 9 hours later and it was at 98%.  So not much drain over that period.

I do not leave the power adapter plugged into my systems when they are shutdown.  If your system is draining and nothing is still active as it is on my 9365 when the display is dark, it might be the battery leaking internally or some component on the system leaking.  

26 Posts

January 2nd, 2018 23:00

Did you check battery drain when your system is powered off (no energy saving mode) for 24 or 48 hours?

No Events found!