Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 16th, 2013 05:00

XPS14 Wifi not active prior to logon.

Just received an XPS14 but it has a very bad problem.  The wifi will not connect until AFTER logon.  This means if I try to log in with a user account that never logged in before and I don't have a network cable plugged in, I get "There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request".  I can log on as me, but that's because the machine cached my credentials when I originally had it plugged in and joined the domain.

I notice it has an Intel wifi utility on it.  I've never had good luck with extra wifi utilities.  I've serviced other laptops (Dell and others) where windows managed the wifi and there wasn't an issue.

In the wifi I have it set for user or computer authentication, which is how it is on my Sony (with just the Intel 6320 drivers only package), but it's not using "computer authentication" pre-logon.

The wireless is Cisco 3500 LAP's connected to a 5508 controller.  WPA2 Enterprise, certificate issued via domain auto-enrollment, and account exists in active directory (I joined the domain via Ethernet cable).

It's not running any of our logon scripts because after I log on with my cached credentials, I always have to click in the lower right corner to connect to our wifi.  It does connect after some hesitation at 270 mbps to 300 mbps 802.11n 5 Ghz.

1 Rookie

• 

358 Posts

July 16th, 2013 06:00

Think I fixed it.  

1.  From Intel's site, downloaded Wireless_15.8.0_Ds64.exe.  

2.  Run appwiz.cpl, then go down to Intel wireless PRO/Set and uninstall it.  You will lose wifi (hence getting the drivers only package prior to this).  

3.  Then install the Wireless_15.8.0_Ds64.exe downloaded from Intel.  Wireless drivers reinstalled without any of the conflicting bloatware.  

4.  Go to lower right corner, click other network, type in our ssid and it auto connects because it sees the domain account.

5.  Rebooted, logged in and the login scripts ran and programs installed from our domain.

Never had any luck with third party wireless tools.  Always install the drivers only package and let windows handle the rest.  No reason to over-engineer / over-complicate it.

No Events found!