Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 3rd, 2014 00:00

XT2 died - switch with barebones/motherboard?

I purchased a refurbished XT2 laptop with Windows 7 that died after about a year and a half.  One morning, the power light would go on, then off and nothing.  When trying again it showed the caps light on, F4 blinking and F5 on.  It looks like this is the diagnostic symbol for motherboard problems.  Oddly it happened once before and then fixed itself, but this time it appears to be for good.

So could I just replace the motherboard with a used one I find online?  I also see XT2s that say they boot into bios but that are missing hard drives/operating systems/batteries, etc.  (one says the bios is locked, which seems worrisome, but I don't know).  Could I get one of those and just switch my hard drive in?  Or is it more complicated than that?  I feel like I have a hard drive, memory card, screen, keyboard, battery, and stylus that all work, so there must be some way to fix this without just scrapping it all?  Or am I going to run into problems of incompatible motherboards or no operating system, etc.?  Thanks for any help out there...

No Responses!
No Events found!