Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 18th, 2015 00:00

Yet Another Dissatisfied customer XPS 13 9343 touchpad

I want to add my voice to the chorus that the touchpad on the XPS 13 9343 (early 2015) is giving me fits. I installed the A01 BIOS, didn't help appreciably.

1. Cursor jumps around under phantom palm touches, even without touching the touchpad
  2. sometimes unable to leave right finger on pad and get left button to work with left hand
  3. sometimes unresponsive for several seconds. especially vertical scrolling in Firefox
  4. cursor jumps on both right and left clicks, often clicking the wrong button in the process
  5. occasional phantom clicks when pulling the mouse across the page

The XPS 13 is a wonderful laptop.  It really needs a fully featured touchpad application to adjust the sensitivity, and eliminate the overly sensitive behaviors. 

By the waay, the keyboard also occasionally double types.  Another feature that should be easily fixed with a repeat delay that doesn't exist.

17 Posts

May 12th, 2015 17:00

Brabian

Your best bet is to send it back while you still can and look for another machine but not Dell.

Look at the Spectre by HP for instance, it seems to have about the same features and cost a lot less. Research the touchpad before you buy.

Dell has know about the touchpad problems for some time and has had plenty of time to give us drivers and a set up screen so each person can adjust the touchpad to his or her personal preference. But in my opinion due there lag and not admitting there is a problem means Dell is never going to address the issue.

Some even want to place the blame on Microsoft, Compare this to buying a new car and say Ford says you have to go to the manufacture of the parts to get an item replaced or fixed. Completely ridiculous!

I paid Dell $1599.00 plus tax and that means Dell is the responsible party.

How is it possible that Dell engineered, built prototypes and ran operational test on these machines without noticing that the touchpad has so many problems?

1 Message

November 29th, 2015 16:00

I recently purchased the DELL XPS13 (9350 - Skylake) and had the exact same problem. I tried to modify the registry as suggested in this posted but only with little improvement.

I came across another post here which suggested to update to the Win10 build 10.0.10586 (run windows update) as it includes new precision touchpad drivers and it solved the problem!

Give it a try!

March 18th, 2015 00:00

Hi,

Thank you for reaching out to us.
We appreciate that you have already updated BISO to fix the issue.
Please click here: http://dell.to/1Lsu8OI and install the touchpad drivers and let us know the outcome.
Feel free to reach out to us for further assistance, we will be happy to help you.

Thanks,
Raghav
Social Media and Community Professional
Order Status : http://dell.to/1fgKSTr
Download Drivers : http://dell.to/1hcxG98

8 Posts

March 18th, 2015 12:00

Raghav,

Thank you very much for the pointer to the Windows 7 drivers for the Synaptic trackpad.  I'm running Windows 8.1, and I believe this is a Microsoft Precision Trackpad.

I did install the drivers, and they indicated that they successfully installed.   But, the operation is no different.

The HID-compliant mouse device manufacturer is Microsoft.  HID\VEN_DLL&DEV_0665&Col01. There is also a PS/2 Compatible Mouse ACPI\VEN_DLL&DEV0665.

What next?

March 21st, 2015 02:00

Kindly private message the service tag, we will look into it for you.

8 Posts

March 22nd, 2015 19:00

On Friday 3/20, I sent my XPS 13 back to Dell to repair this problem.  Later that day, Dell releases this fix:

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=T792T

With ground shipping both ways, it will be about 3 weeks before I get my laptop back.

Please let me know if you find this to be a true fix for the track pad problems.

Dell: any chance you can extend my warranty by the length of time your poor advice will leave me without the laptop?

8 Posts

April 1st, 2015 23:00

A follow up on my touch pad experience with Dell technical support:

• Round trip shipping plus repairs were about 10 calendar days from San Jose, CA to Texas where the touch pad was replaced.  Much shorter than expected.  It seemed to spend only 1 day in the shop.
  • Repair personnel contacted me via email to ask and answer questions, prior to replacing touch pad.  I thought the new firmware might be enough, but they recommended replacing the touch pad, too.
  • In addition to replaced touch pad, I have also updated touch pad firmware, BIOS to A03, and other recommended drivers from the support website.

So, how does it perform?  Much improved, I can now hit the buttons without the cursor jumping away from the buttons.  The response of the touch pad is instantaneous, and scrolling seems to work better too.

I'm still getting a little cursor jump from light palm touches, and occasionally from resting my index finger just above the touch pad. 

Hey Dell, I still think this needs some configuration application to adjust sensitivity, but I do want to say thanks for the work that you've already put in.  I'm hoping that you'll get this ironed out 100% and make this the great laptop it can be.

8 Posts

April 29th, 2015 22:00

If you're reading this thread about the XPS 13 touchpad problems.  Catch this thread too:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19616659

As a follow-up, after a month, Dell has not yet released an update to the firmware.  The problem described in this video still exists:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Ru8-1KIYSbw

Along with phantom clicks if I enable any kind of tapping in Win 8.1 (long delay doesn't help).

7 Posts

May 8th, 2015 11:00

Ah ha! Now you've just raised an issue which is causing me concern on my new XPS that I received fresh off the boat from China this morning!

Scrolling.

My trackpad doesn't scroll. And the main.Cpl doesn't offer the option (as it would if a Synaptics driver had been installed).

How can I get webpages to scroll using the trackpad? I'm not sufficiently used to touching the screen, yet!

Brabian

1 Message

May 12th, 2015 13:00

Just had my touchpad replaced and still have some issues. Input lag (not registering small movements) and jumpy cursor when clicking.

17 Posts

May 12th, 2015 17:00

Dell-Raghav GH

Why do you people keep telling customers to install drivers that are for Windows 7 as it states on the URL you posted. You should know that the Dell xps 13 9434 early 2015 edition comes with W8.1. This tells me that you do not know what you are saying and makes one not trust your statements.

"Dell Touchpad Driver
This package provides Dell Touchpad Driver and is supported on XPS 9343 running the following Operating Systems: Windows 7."

2 Posts

August 2nd, 2015 11:00

I was planning to buy a XPS 13 2015 (9343), but after reading this un-solved trackpad issues, i think i will not buy it.

7 Posts

August 2nd, 2015 13:00

Ignore all these posts! It turns out that mine was an RTFM problem! I simply expected the Synaptics edge scrolling I was used to with my previous laptop BUT when I did read the manual I diuscovered that 2-finger scrolling has replaced edge scrolling.

It's a brilliant laptop and I urge you to get one, especially now that its automatically upgraded to Windows 10!

Ian

3 Posts

September 24th, 2015 11:00

I have found a solution that has dramatically improved touchpad performance in Windows 10 (for Dell XPS 13 - 9343).
It does not require any Synaptics drivers (trust me, I have manually updated the driver many times from 3rd party websites, the solutions didn't work)
This requires registry changes:
1. Run - regedit
2. Navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTWARE -> Microsoft -> Windows -> CurrentVersion -> PrecisionTouchPad
3. Change the "CurtainDismissDistance" and "CurtainDismissTime" to 0 (this will eliminate any lag or delays)
4. Change the "GestureScrollMaxDistance" to your liking (I set it as 40 (hexadecimal value)
5. Restart
It works in Windows 10. You may want to create system restore point before doing the above. Cheers

October 27th, 2015 18:00

How can we TRUST a website named DELL.TO   Why isn't it DELL.COM if this is legitimate?  That makes me mad . . . and I have WiFi problems, keyboard problems and touchpad problems.  Expensive machine has cost me HOURS & HOURS.

No Events found!