Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 6th, 2012 13:00

backlight keyboard E5520

Hi All,

today I installed a keyboard which should have the backlight option but it looks like as the former version. I can´t start the light, can´t see if it is the right one with these light option or not. I think I must install a driver or a software to run it. I did not get any guide to install and setup. Would be great if someone out there will have an idea.

Regards and thanks in advance

Marcel

Thanks ejn63, it was no cable along with it, so I conncet only the one which was on the old keyboard. Where can I get the Quickset for download?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

If the keyboard is backlit, there should be an additiional cable that connects to the mainboard (not just one of them - there are two).

If there are, the utility you need is usually the Dell Quickset.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

If there was only one cable, the keyboard is not backlit.  No utility will help.

okay thanks I will go back to dell and ask for the right one or the add cable. The board looks exactly like to former one, that is strange too. There a each two plugs but only one flat, flex cable.

1 Message

March 4th, 2013 09:00

Hi MARCELZILLIG,

i have similar problem, replaced non-backlit keyboard with backlit one. I have one cable. 

Do you know maybe part number for this backlit cable?

BR

1.8K Posts

March 4th, 2013 20:00

Hi lijami,

Please share the system model and the country of purchase. 

In case you have Latitude E5520, you may check below the part# for the backlit keyboard available with E5520:

6VF0N Keyboard Spanish-Latin American Countries W/Backlit
HFV81 Keyboard Brazilian-Portuguese Backlit
HG3G3 Keyboard US-English Backlit
N0FT4 Keyboard French-Canadian Backlit

Part# and its availability may vary depending on your region. 

For more information on installation of keyboard, you may refer to the service manual of computer from link: 

ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_laptop/esuprt_latitude_laptop/latitude-e5520_Owner%27s%20Manual_en-us.pdf 

Please ensure to follow safety instructions mentioned in manual.

Please share the findings. 

1 Message

August 20th, 2013 11:00

With respect to the posters above, the information given is incorrect.

The Backlit keyboard is a direct replacement for an E5520 without one.  Both keyboards have only one (the same) connection.

You can tell a backlit keyboard easily - on the right hand arrow it will have a "blinking key" symbol if it is backlit.  If it is not, it won't.  Also on removal, the backlit keyboard has a white plastic cover whereas the non backlit one does not.

The keyboard works out of the box with no additional drivers required.

Oh, and I know this because I've just done it!

No Events found!