Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 26th, 2009 07:00

black bar on the right side of screen

Hi, i'm not sure if i'm posting at the right place but i have a longstanding problem with my laptop screen.

Ever since i reinstalled vista on my xps m1330 a black 3 inch bar keeps appearing on the right side of my screen. Instead of having a 13,3 inch screen i know have a 10'in screen.  I tried reinstalling drivers, vista and now win 7 but nothing helps. The laptop is only a bit over a year old.

Anyone who's having the same problem or solved one like this? It's really annoying...:emotion-6:

2 Posts

November 4th, 2010 15:00

I have the exact same problem! Is anybody else having this problem? Maybe this is a manufacture's defect and they should have a recall.

Thanks!

2 Posts

November 13th, 2010 18:00

I have a XPW M1210, 2006, and  just started having this problem. I've tried everything to fix it from restore to new drivers, to diagnostics, etc. Nothing works.  The black bar is even at the dell prompt before windows loads. it is ver annoying because I can't find an answer on the forums.  If you find out what is causing this, please let me know.  Thanks!

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

November 13th, 2010 19:00

Does the same fault show on an external monitor?  If so, the video chip is bad - replace the system board.  If not, the display panel is bad - that will need to be replaced.

2 Posts

November 13th, 2010 19:00

I don't have another monitor to hook to.  When I ran diagnostics thru F12 at power up, it came back with an error that the lcd connection failed. Does that indicate the chip or the panel? Thanks.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

November 14th, 2010 03:00

Probably the panel, but it's worth borrowing a monitor to try before you spend considerable money on a new screen.

2 Posts

November 17th, 2010 10:00

Hi,

To check if the monitor is the problem, try hold down "D" while the computer starts. You should see a color test.

Hope this helps.

1 Message

January 28th, 2012 13:00

Hi,

I am having the exact same problem. I have an XPS M1330 also. I originaly had windows vista but then I installed windows 7. Everything seemed ok for a while. But then I got the black bar and the blurry bar on the bottom. It used to only look like this every once in a while when I would boot it up but now it is 9 times out of 10. I have updated everything. The BIOS and drivers are up to date and correct. I have tried working with the display, like the resolution but that does nothing.

I really hope someone finds a solution because this is very frustrating and I have tried everything, apart from sending to Dell.

No Events found!