Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 28th, 2013 08:00

dell inspiron 17r headphones wont connect

Pretty much what title says. I connect my headphones on the laptop and they wont work. I ve reinstalled the drivers from the dell site. Problem still remains. Anyone knows what else to do? Will it help if i uninstall the dell drivers (dell audio thing) and install realtek drivers?

9 Posts

May 1st, 2013 11:00

i had the same problem with my 5520 Inspiron for a few days after i bought the laptop, i don't know, i had the drivers installed but no audio from headphones, connected several headphones, non worked, did the dell diagnostic tests at boot a few times, opened bios page and looked around at different options, restarted and voila, i had audio through the headphone jack! don't know really, perhaps all this has reminded the laptop that it has a headphone jack too :))

1.3K Posts

April 28th, 2013 08:00

Hi hackerkok,

You could try reinstalling the Realtek drivers. Also try performing a System Restore to return to a configuration in which the audio was working. Type "System Restore" into the Start menu search box, and then, in the list of results, click System Restore.

If the issue persists try returning the laptop to the original factory configuration. It should get sorted out by performing a restore if it is a software issue.

http://dell.to/Wj1rZe

9 Posts

April 28th, 2013 09:00

did this, once again, didnt help. also something i forgot to mention. when i plug in the headphones the sound stops playing from speakers too. and when i unplug them sound continues to play from speakers.

9 Posts

April 29th, 2013 02:00

update: when i try to install the driver from here: www.dell.com/.../inspiron-17r-se-7720 it says installation failed. could not find the device for this driver

9 Posts

April 29th, 2013 03:00

uninstalled everything that had something to do with audio drivers, i restarted and let windows install whatever they want. now headphones work. i hope this is not a temporal solution.

9 Posts

May 1st, 2013 01:00

seems like it was a temporal solution. problem still exists. any suggestions?

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

May 1st, 2013 06:00

Have you tried it with a different set of headphones to rule out the possibility that your headphones  are failing?

1.3K Posts

May 1st, 2013 10:00

Hi hackerkok,

Try performing a PC restore as you have already tried reinstalling the audio drivers. Please find the link below for instructions.

http://dell.to/Wj1rZe

9 Posts

May 1st, 2013 10:00

yes i tried different headphones. also same headphones work in linux (on same laptop) so i guess its a driver issue for windows

9 Posts

May 1st, 2013 11:00

well i make many changes in my os and i started using headphones 2-3 days ago.  i never had a working headphones experience. so i dont think a system restore would help as i dont know when to restore my system

9 Posts

May 1st, 2013 13:00

ran diagnostics from dell site restarted and headphones now work :P

i guess this is also a temporary solution but i ll stick with it for now. thanks.

This thread is locked, due to age.

If you need assistance, please create a new thread in the proper Dell Support Forum

Thank you

No Events found!