Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

February 7th, 2009 06:00

dell inspiron 6400 drivers

hello, i,ve just bought a 2nd hand dell inspiron 6400 with no drivers cd's, i,ve installed a fresh copy of xp but now need to know which drivers to download off this dell site and which order to install them, (i,ve had a couple of trys now and am starting to pull my hair out) any help would be much appreciated -shane-

14.4K Posts

February 7th, 2009 06:00

Hello shane12345 and welcome to the Dell forums

Let get you up and running by doing this

Go HERE for the correct order you will need to follow to reload all the drivers for your system

You will find all the driver you need HERE 

Now that's the easy part. For finding drivers for listings that have multiple listings, like network, video, audio and such if you are not sure exactly what hardware is in the system you can go HERE, enter the service tag and choose orginal configuration. This will pull up a listing of all the stuff that came with the system when it was shipped. The list can be somewhat cryptic so if your not sure or have any questions you can post it back here making sure you do not post the service tag number.

14.4K Posts

February 8th, 2009 06:00

Good news. Glad to have helped. Happy computing.

2 Posts

February 8th, 2009 06:00

Nice work Dave, Did exactly what you said and its now sorted thanks for everything.

-shane-

3 Posts

November 21st, 2011 08:00

I have the same issues but can no longer find the drivers.

I am getting a 404 - File or directory not found.

Most importantly I cannot get my wireless adapter working on my 6400 after I reinstalled Windows XP Pro.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Shannon

14.4K Posts

November 21st, 2011 15:00

Shannon17

there are some very weird things going on with the Dell support site.  I have sent this issue up to the line to hopefully get this resolved.

Since you did just reinstall XP do you have your original drivers disk? If you do you need to follow the  steps HERE(step 5)

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

to reload all the drivers. IT is important that you first install the Notebook system software(if there is on for your model) Followed by the chipset drivers in order to set up all the proper communication between the OS and your system hardware.

IF you don't have the disk then until they get this driver issue fixed you are pretty much out of luck.

3 Posts

November 21st, 2011 16:00

Dave,

Thanks for the quick response, and for sending the issue up line.  Hopefully Dell responds in a timely fashion.  I will check back regularly to see if there's any progress.

Shannon

2 Posts

November 22nd, 2011 14:00

I just rebuilt a 6400 off the XP Home disc.  And cant find any drivers on the Dell site.  Whats going on???

14.4K Posts

November 22nd, 2011 15:00

There are some issues with the drives site. The powers to be are aware of it and are in the process of getting it fixed. All we can do is hope it is before the weekend

2 Posts

November 22nd, 2011 15:00

some how i was directed to drivers for Inspiron E1505.  The NIC and Wifi and the ATI video and Audio drivers work from that. 

Thanks

3 Posts

November 23rd, 2011 17:00

It looks like the 6400 drivers are up.

Thanks for your help everyone.

If I have any issues, I'll let you know.

Thanks

1 Message

March 31st, 2013 16:00

Good Afternoon,

I also purchased a second hand Dell Inspiron 6400.  Previous owner did not have any recovery disks and now the laptop will not connect to my network.  The light is amber.  NIC seems to be working properly according to Device Manager; however other drivers seem to have problems.  Do need to download all the recommended hardware drivers?  How do I receive a service tag number.  Thank you.

Sincerely,

T5_T2

14.4K Posts

April 1st, 2013 14:00

Hello T5_T2

Your really should start a new thread rather then posting in an almost two year old thread.

to answer your question you service tag is built into the system and will be displayed on the Dell splash screen.

As to getting your NIC working, you can try reinstalling your chipset driver and then the nic driver you can find the info my post marked as accepted answer.

1 Message

April 4th, 2013 06:00

hello everyone, i just format my laptop dell inspiron 6400, but there is a problem i lost the CD driver for dell, and i don't know where to get the drivers for free

i just install windows 7  which is mounted on windows xp that is an upgrade, so can any one help me please?

1.8K Posts

April 4th, 2013 06:00

Hi nedlise,

Dell has tested Inspiron 6400 only with Windows XP and Vista. Drivers for same are available on support website. You may download and install the drivers in compatibility mode for Windows XP or Vista from the link: http://dell.to/QRV6Pk (might work)

Download the driver -- > Right Click the applications installation file and select Properties/Compatibility Tab -- > Select Windows XP or Vista -- > Click Apply/OK -- > Right Click the file and select the Run As Administrator option to install.

In case issue persists, you may want to check the device manufacturer's website for Windows 7 drivers (If available).

Do reply in case you have any further questions. I'll be glad to assist. 

No Events found!