Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 1st, 2009 05:00

e6400 Randomly Wakes after A12 BIOS Upgrade...

I have a latitude e6400 that was working fine.  I loaded the A12 BIOS upgrade, now it seems to be waking every so often (not always, but more and more it seems) at night (after midnight).  If I forget to have it plugged into AC, then it'll come on and run until it drains the battery.  I'll find it dead the next morning.  This did not happen before the upgrade.

I contacted tech support, but didn't get much help.  He agreed it sounded like it was a BIOS issue, and suggested I just deal with it until the next update comes out (with no idea when that would be).  I asked about downgrading, and while he agreed it was probably possible, had no idea how to go about it.

I've gone through the BIOS settings to confirm no WAKE-ON-x settings are active.  Has anyone else seen this?  I'm assuming this uses the same BIOS as the e6500/e5500/e5400.  Anyone know how to downgrade the BIOS?

Thanks, Doc.

2 Posts

April 3rd, 2009 05:00

More info: I confirmed last night that it's waking exactly at midnight.  I believe it's an every night occurance now too.

Nobody else with A12 has experienced this?

May 5th, 2009 14:00

Interesting and irritating problem. 
I too have the same issue.
On several oocasions I have been in the middle of some important work, selected STANDBY, put the NB in my bag only to find it very hot, fan going full speed when i got home, but actually the system is not up and running no screen or function etc.  Can only switch off with power button, which of course kills all my open work.

I have a new E6400 with Bios A12 already installed from the factory. 1.5 months old.
it is a brand new install with Win XP SP3
all the latest windows updates.

Dell, please work on a fix for this issue, not good enough for a brand new laptop.

Does anyone have any tips, that is tips which don't compromise the basic elements of windows and normal operation of a NB.

May 12th, 2009 06:00

Spoke with Dell 2nd level tech support:
They were convinced the issues lay in the windows installation files which are preloaded at the factory.
This issue seems to only show up with A12 bios.

Recomended, wiping HD and install WinXp from supplied Disks.
reinstall drivers from CD too or newer drivers if prefered, i did the latest of there website, but according to my Service Tag.
Used the correct install order for drivers from Dell site: Install order for Drivers on Dell Laptops and Desktops

Though sceptical I have to say, it is working just fine.

This of course was a bare minimum installation, Windows XP + Dell Drivers. Not even virus scanner, as i scanned the files and loaded from another PC.

Hope it is some help to someone.

Bye for now

May 15th, 2009 23:00

Very Sad :-(
Laptop came out of standy somewhere between 23:00 and 01:49 last night.
CPU on full, hot of course, Fan on Full, 01:49 just woke up in time to see battery go flat and system shut down.  Work lost too :-(

So New XP SP3 & Latest Dell Drivers, using Dell install order, does not fix a thing.

My laptop is only 2 months old and i have sat with this issue since i bought it.

BIOS is A12.  I read A11 bios did not have this issue, is it possible to back grade the bios???

What a story: i also read in this forum similar models have the same issue, see link: http://en.community.dell.com/forums/t/19256129.aspx?c=uk&l=en&cs=&s=gen

Will update next week after i contact Dell yet again. I wish they did a warranty pack for lost time and expense fixing Factory Issues really.

till next time

No Events found!