Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 26th, 2014 18:00

e6420 - Does it have an internal mic and how do you enable it

I think they're on either side of the webcam on the top of the lid when it's opened up but not really sure.  Can someone confirm that?

Also, how do you activate it.  I've right clicked an chosen show disabled devices but the microphone still shows up as disabled with no way to enable it.

My headphones and the external speakers work fine but I'm not really keen on buying a combo headset/mic combo because I don't use it all that much.

I've tried to call and leave a message on my voicemail with Google Voice and it complains that the mic is muted and I can't seem to figure out how to enable or unmute it.  Please assist.

Thanks in advance,

alan

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

February 27th, 2014 14:00

Alan, the reason it is different is that my picture was from my Latitude E5420 which uses the same IDT driver as your E6420, but on my model there is a different mic.

"Mic Array" refers to the mics that are built into the webcam assembly. On my model the webcam was optional and I didn't get it. (I have an "internal mic" on the laptop's base near the power button.) So your Sound properties looks fine. The mic is enabled and set as the default device.

If it is not working try this. Open the webcam application that should have been pre-installed on your computer. Start>All Programs>Dell Webcam>Dell Webcam Central. There should be a mic icon there. There are different versions of the program -- here is a shot of where the icon is on my version.

Whatever version, there will be mic settings somewhere. Make sure that the mic is active in Webcam Central.

If it still does not work it might be defective. If you are still under warranty you should contact tech support to schedule a repair.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

February 26th, 2014 20:00

I think they're on either side of the webcam on the top of the lid when it's opened up

There is one to the left of the camera -- not sure about the right side. It's hard to tell from the manual.

I've right clicked an chosen show disabled devices but the microphone still shows up as disabled with no way to enable it.

Right click on it to open the context menu. If the mic is currently disabled you will see an option to "Enable". After enabling it then you can set it to be the "default device".

Finally select Properties and select the Levels tab where you can set the levels and mute or unmute the mic.

9 Posts

February 27th, 2014 12:00

Ok, so my picture does not match your picture.

I have installed the IDT High Definition Audio Codec as you have but I don't get an Internal Microphone Icon.  I checked BIOS and it's enabled.  How do I get the icon.  That should solve the problem, right?

Thanks!,

alan

9 Posts

February 27th, 2014 14:00

Ok, I don't have this program on my computer but a quick search yields
this page which I think will get me through the rest of it.

http://goo.gl/QaqiPQ

I downloaded one called Many Cams but haven't gotten around to
installing it and was wondering what to use. I'll start with the Dell
software which should fix things up.

Many Thanks,
alan

9 Posts

March 14th, 2014 21:00

Jimco,

I tried everything and even found a Microsoft Tech Wizard thing which went through and verified all settings were correct, nothing was missing, etc. and it still wouldn't work.  So I bought a cheap pair of headphones with a built in microphone and it has the four section plug and that took care of the problem.

alan

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 4th, 2017 12:00

I am using an earbud and it works well, but the internal mic won't turn on. Oh well, i guess it's not that big of a deal. I bought mine used to maybe it isn't working.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

March 5th, 2017 10:00

I am a little confused, but I don't have an IDT system.  You are showing a Webcam attached to your system?  Is that your internal microphones?  If so, does the level meter ever move?  Have you checked the properties to make sure the level is up a some boost is being used?

It looks like you have a Dock also but it is not attached right now?  I suppose the Jack Mic is the microphone port..  

Why is the Rec/Playback set as your default communications device?  Can you disable it?

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

March 5th, 2017 10:00

Adam, welcome to the forum.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

March 5th, 2017 11:00

You are showing a Webcam attached to your system?

Saltgrass, I may be wrong, but I think there is some confusion in this thread. There were 3 participants:

Alan Pae -- 3 years ago
AdamJones28 -- yesterday
me

All of the screenshots are from me and Alan, from 3 years ago. If you noticed that and are asking Alan about his issue, then ignore this message.

I might have mentioned this before -- when there are multiple participants in a thread, it's a good idea to quote the one whom you are addressing, to keep the conversation straight.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

March 5th, 2017 12:00

You are right, thanks jimco.  I try really to check the dates but sometimes I miss it on an earlier post.

No Events found!