Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

8 Posts

September 6th, 2008 03:00

how to activate bluetooth ?

its my inspiron 1420. with bluetooth, it was working good when first bought. but then some errors hit my hard disk and i have to format it. after formatted i installed all my drivers except bluetooth when it asked to turn my bluetooth on first using the fn+f2 key or radio key. but the problem is now when i press the fn+f2 key or switch on the radio, the bluetooth wont turn on. i have checked on bios on the switch setting n also found in bios that there is a bluetooth device.
Message Edited by zatdin on 09-05-2008 11:34 PM

2.5K Posts

September 6th, 2008 04:00

The 1420 does not use Fn+F2 to turn on the Bluetooth or Wi-Fi radio.

Open your QuickSet, then click on the Wi-Fi Catcher/Radio Control Options.  On the next screen, click on Advanced Settings button and check if it is set to use the same physical switch to turn both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth on; the switch is located to the right of the memory card reader slot below the LDE indicators.

8 Posts

September 6th, 2008 05:00

i knew that already.. i even checked it at BIOS if my switch is set up for both wifi n bluetooth

when i used the switch only wifi light is turned on even i have checked the box u said..

could u help me further? 

2.5K Posts

September 6th, 2008 14:00

Do you see a Bluetooth system tray icon?  Right click it and see if the setting to turn on Bluetooth adapter is available.

8 Posts

September 7th, 2008 01:00

this is after formatted..

so no driver installed n theres no bluetooth tray icon.. n when i wanna install the driver it asked me to activate bluetooth which is my problem..

all i know is the motherboard can detect the bluetooth, but it cannot be turned on 

my opinion is it has to do with the bluetooth switch.. but i dont know  :smileysad:

Message Edited by zatdin on 09-07-2008 10:10 AM

2.5K Posts

September 7th, 2008 03:00

Did you install Notebook System Software (NSS) before installing any driver? If you haven't, you will need to reformat and reinstall Vista again, install NSS, then install your drivers.

Article: How to install drivers in correct order

Download NSS for 1420 

8 Posts

September 8th, 2008 03:00

• Desktop System Software (DSS) or Notebook System Software (NSS) - A vital utility that provides critical updates and patches for the operating system. If you are reinstalling Windows or updating all drivers, it is important that this software be installed first. Currently, the DSS and NSS are not required for computers with Windows Vista®. This is located under the System and Configuration Utilities Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.

how about this ? o.o

please help me x.x

• Message Edited by zatdin on 09-08-2008 01:03 PM
    Message Edited by zatdin on 09-08-2008 01:04 PM

2.5K Posts

September 9th, 2008 02:00

There is a NSS for 1420/Vista OS - see above url

8 Posts

September 9th, 2008 07:00

ahh ok..

i will try formatting this weekend at my home.

thx anyway i will reply after weekends..

anyway can i format only the OS containing partition ?

coz i dont wanna lose all the datas..

Message Edited by zatdin on 09-09-2008 05:57 PM

2.5K Posts

September 10th, 2008 02:00

The basic answer to the question is "yes".

However, some data are stored on the same partition as Windows by default, e.g., Favorites, Microsoft Outlook Personal Folders file (PST), Windows Mail and Contacts, etc., and to make matters worse (IMHO) the locations of many personal folders (Documents, Music, Photos, Videos, Downloads, etc.) need to be changed separately in Vista, so I highly recommend that you manually make a backup of all your data to a different partition in case you haven't changed their default locations before you reformat the hard drive again.

Hope the reinstall work out and resolve the issue at hand.

8 Posts

September 10th, 2008 04:00

as a matter of fact all my media files n downloads r stored in D:\ :P

thx anyway i will try this weekend.. ur really helpful..

8 Posts

September 14th, 2008 05:00

its still unsuccessful :smileysad:
No Events found!