Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 22nd, 2013 05:00

how to reformat dell inspiron 15 3521 windows 8

hey,

looks like i caught a virus (portaldosites) on my only a few months old laptop. i ve scanned with anti virus softwares and also tried to resert to a former date which did not change anything. My last option was to reformat the laptop however although i followed the manuals i wasnt able to do the same. I have reformatted several laptops with windows xp and windows 7, however facing troubles now with windows 8. can anyone help me? how can i reformat my laptop??

1.5K Posts

June 22nd, 2013 05:00

Hi svh1710,

I would suggest you to run hardware diagnostics on the system for hardware functionality, by following the steps below:

• Reboot and press to enter the Boot Menu
  • When the boot device list appears, highlight ‘Diagnostics’ and press Enter
  • The computer begins to run the ‘Pre-boot System Assessment’, a series of embedded diagnostics that perform initial testing on your system board, keyboard, hard drive, and display
  • In case any hardware component is bad, you will get a corresponding error

To restore the system back to factory settings, you may follow the steps below:

• Plug in the AC adapter.
  • Point to the right hand corner of the screen to bring up the ‘Charms Bar’.
  • Click ‘Settings’.
  • Click the shutdown button, hold down and click ‘Restart’ from the options provided.
  • The system restarts, login and click ‘Troubleshoot’.
  • Click the ‘Dell Backup and Recovery’ icon.
  • The system restarts and comes back up, click ‘Next’ on ‘Dell Backup and Recovery’ screen.
  • The system would be checked to see if the smart repair option can fix the issue, click ‘Next’ once this is done.
  • You will be prompted to select the backup to be used, click the factory image option or select .from one of the backups. Click ‘Next’.
  • You will be prompted to back up your files, select ‘No, Erase my files’.
  • The system goes ahead and completes the restore of the operating system. Click ‘Restart’ when prompted.
  • Follow the on-screen instructions to setup the system with windows.

* Note: This step leads to complete data loss including pictures, music files, videos, documents and applications. Please disconnect any external peripherals as well.

Hope this helps. Please reply if you have any other questions.  

2 Posts

April 23rd, 2014 10:00

Good day friends,

I did the latter options but when i clicked on get started, i looks for the recovery media and says it cannot continue, I had also tried to use the application named "My dell", it has a backup and recovery section, weird part was, when i tried to do a factory reset there, it restarts me to efi boot, the had an error of bootefi/0000001 i don't remember all of it but it was full of zeros and some efi words. i only had three options, restart, try again and change boot option. is there any way i could just hold and press as it boots up like any other old models like before? for example just pressing alt+f10 for packard bell/acer?

May 21st, 2014 12:00

I bought an Apple MacBook Pro - I had problems but I was able to reinstall and upgrade the hard drive using the little USB drive that came with my computer.  I don't get Dell.  I have an Inspiron 15 3421 laptop, I have been working like crazy to get the thing to restore to factory - every media set I have made fails.  I am so frustrated and I have 24 years working as an IT professional.  I cannot image how frustrating this would be for someone who only knows how to check their email.  I think this is why Apple is selling so many computers, despite their cost.  There's value in having a system that is reliable and a store you can walk into and get help  for, up to 3 years after you purchase the computer...

August 2nd, 2014 04:00

hi.

will this clear all the data in other drives also ? or it will erase only C drive ? please let me know if all the drives got empty with this method

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 2nd, 2014 04:00

If you have more than just a C drive, you've altered the partition scheme - meaning that the quick restore won't function unless you have prepared a recovery media set.  If you have, it will restore the system completely back to the way it was when you received it.

August 2nd, 2014 13:00

No, that wasn't the problem, the "C" was the only drive, and no partitions were altered.  The restore program just didn't work.  I updated the Dell utilities for restore and disaster recovery and the restore finally worked.  I also ordered the media. 

Doing an update to the Dell software did the trick, I don't know why, but it did.

June 4th, 2015 22:00

Life saver thanks!!!

No Events found!