Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 10th, 2017 09:00

iTunes on XPS 15 9550 not compatible with latest Intel HD Graphics 530 driver

The current version of iTunes (12.6.0.100) does not run (nothing happens when its executed, and it does not appear in Task Manager) with Intel HD Graphics 530 driver version 21.20.16.4590 (A09) installed. This is the version of the Intel driver currently on Dell’s Windows 10 driver download page for the XPS 15 9550, starting April 4, 2017.

When I install the previous version of the Intel driver, 20.19.15.4531 (A08), iTunes runs fine.

However, after just a few minutes the screen goes blank for a moment and the Intel driver is instantly updated to version 21.20.16.4590 (A09) again (perhaps by Windows Update?) breaking iTunes again. I went through this cycle twice before giving up.

It seems to me there is a bug in the latest Intel HD Graphics 530 driver that needs to be fixed ASAP.

13 Posts

April 10th, 2017 14:00

There are other complaints about the new video driver as well such as causing BSOD reboots for a lot of people (me included.

To resolve the issue and keep Windows update from updating the driver:

Note: It's possible that you can skip some of the below steps and go right to the "Roll Back Driver" step but I have not tried that. I know that these steps work :-)

Go into Device Manager and locate the display driver.

Right-click it and chose to uninstall it. Make sure to check the box to uninstall the software as well.

Before you reboot, disable networking so that Windows Update cannot update the driver for now.

Reboot.

Install the previous driver (the A08 version from Dell).

Re-enable networking.

Note that Windows will still update the driver, but when it does, go back into device manager, right-click the display driver, chose properties, go to the driver tab, pick Roll Back Driver. Windows should no longer attempt to update the driver.

2 Posts

April 10th, 2017 14:00

Thank you for this info! It’s good to know I’m not the only one with problems due to this A09 driver update.

I went directly to “Roll back driver” and after 30 minutes (and a reboot) Windows has not yet re-installed the latest driver spontaneously as it was doing before. If it does update the driver, I’ll try your steps to hopefully keep Windows from doing the update permanently.

No Events found!