Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 4th, 2013 05:00

inspirion 3520 internet connection issues/

I recently bought a inspirion 3520 (inspirion 15). This is my second one as I had return the 1st one.  My inspirion 3520 would not hold an internet connection. After contacting Dell phone support, (who told me I had a virus and asked me to upgrade my warrenty), I chose to return the computer because there was no virus, it was simply defective!

Now my new inspirion 3520 connects to the internet, but the connection just simply drops off.
no other computer or Wi-Fi gadget loses connection.

When I lose the connection it takes a minute to reconnect. The computer attempts to auto fix the issue, but is unable to resolve it. Typically when I lose my connection I just disconnect and reconnect and everything is fine. This does not happen at any set time. I can go an hour or 5 minutes without losing my connection.
I have run scans and do not have a virus.

How do I fix this issue?

This has been a horrible experience with my dell and has made me reconsider any further dell purchases!

1.8K Posts

January 5th, 2013 00:00

Hi Heggen12, 

A distance of less than 30 ft between the wireless router and the laptop is recommended for a good consistent connection. This distance is recommended keeping in mind interference caused due to various other electronic devices working at the same frequency level. However, let us perform the following troubleshooting steps to optimize the wireless capability of the laptop as much as possible:

Maximize the performance of 'Wireless Card' installed in the laptop: 

• Right-click the 'Computer' icon on the desktop or from the 'Start menu'
  • Click 'Manage'
  • Click 'Device Manager'
  • Click the + sign to expand the 'Network Adapters' entry
  • Right-click the wireless adapter and click 'Properties''
  • Click the 'Advanced' tab to configure the advanced settings
  • Select Power Management, uncheck Default / Auto, and move the slider to Highest / Maximum Performance.

Note: If the slider is already at Highest / Maximum Performance, move the slider to another setting and then back to Highest / Maximum Performance.

You can also uninstall and re-install the wireless card drivers by following the steps below:  

• Click on “Start” and right click on “Computer”.
  • Click on “Manage”.
  • Click on “Device Manager”.
  • Under “Network adapters”, you will find the wireless driver listed.
  • Right click on it and click on “uninstall”. (Check and make a note of the driver installed on your system and re-install the driver from the below steps accordingly).
  • Check the box to delete the software.
  • Restart your system and click on the link: http://dell.to/TPWQvr
  • Enter the Service Tag of your system and select the operating system.
  • You will find the wireless driver under “Network”.
  • Click on the wireless driver depending on the video card your system has. (Install the same wireless driver which you uninstalled from “Device Manager”.
  • Click on “Download File”.
  • Select “For Single File Download via Browser”.
  • Click on “Download Now”.
  • Save the driver on your desktop.
  • Once the driver is saved on desktop, right click on it and select “Run as administrator”.
  • Install the wireless driver by following the on screen instructions. 

Another step you can try is to update BIOS. It results in better system performance. Try updating it by following the steps listed below:

Note: Make sure the ac adapter is connected and the battery is charged 10% or above to update the BIOS. Also, disconnect all the external peripherals before updating the BIOS. All the programs should be closed and documents saved.

• Click on link to download and update the system BIOS: http://dell.to/UQWir4 
  • Click on “Get driver”
  • Save the BIOS on your desktop
  • Right click on it and select “Run as administrator”
  • Follow the prompts on screen to install BIOS (System may produce beep sounds and may restart)
  • Check for the performance of the wireless now

Please share the findings. 

1 Message

February 11th, 2013 15:00

I recently purchased one also, and have had nothing but trouble with it. I called Dell and they refused to fix it. It is set on public network and there is no way to change it. and I lose internet connection all the time, I think Dell should be responsible for these problems and fix them. But they REFUSE to unless you pay. This is the worst experience I have ever had with Dell. I will never purchase another one.I have 4 computers in my home and they are all Dell.Needless to say they have lost a very good customer, simply because they don't stand behind there product

No Events found!