Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 21st, 2012 00:00

inspiron 1545 "no bootable device" error

Okay, I get that if the drive is not recognized, it's no longer there. But when I run the bios, I can see the drive detected, and when I do the F5 diagnostics, no problem is reported. I was able to pull files off of the drive by backing them up to an external hd. So.... can someone please tell me if I have a chance to reload a master boot record and/or reformat the hard drive? When I hook it up to my new laptop to try to transfer files, the new computer doesn't "see" it. When I run the boot from a disk, I can get to a dos  promt and see files, but the "format" command only wants to format DVDs or smaller. Any recommendations??

3.8K Posts

June 21st, 2012 01:00

Hi,

Welcome to the Community. Did you try pressing the F12 key at the Dell Logo, select Diagnostics and run an extended diagnostics on your hard drive. Post back with any error codes.

If diagnostics pass, then you may have to restore your computer back to factory settings, or manually reinstall windows. In both cases all data will be lost. Use the below links for help. Select the correct Opearting System in the below links.

PC Restore : support.dell.com/.../document

Manually Install Windows : support.dell.com/.../document

Thank you

No Events found!