Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 6th, 2017 11:00

mSATA for Latitude E5440

The service manual for the E5440 on the Dell website makes no mention of it. However I believe this laptop can take a mSATA drive. At the socket, there is a message that says "See Manual" or something like that. Only manual doesn't mention diddly.

So can someone confirm laptop is mSATA compatible? If so, what's the max size supported and can I boot OS off the mSATA? Finally, if someone can explain exactly whether this takes mSATA or M2 or whatever drives because it's confusing me a bit.

Thanks in advance.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

October 6th, 2017 11:00

This thread was created by someone with an E5440 who bought and installed an mSATA SSD: en.community.dell.com/.../19986632

So yes, there's an mSATA connector (not M.2), and you'll want to set your BIOS SATA mode to AHCI.  When you ask about max size I'm not sure if you're asking about capacity or physical dimensions, but capacity shouldn't have a practical limit given that SATA has long supported multi-TB drives (larger than mSATA SSDs ever offered), and for physical size, whatever the 850 Evo uses apparently works, and I think that's the most common size.

4 Posts

January 3rd, 2018 08:00

Please check this article with title "How to install Windows onto a system with mSATA" from Dell Knowledge Base

www.dell.com/.../how-to-install-windows-onto-a-system-with-msata

4 Posts

January 3rd, 2018 13:00

Has any body using mSATA drive with Windows 10 Pro operating system installed on it without any issues on Dell Latitude E5440?

I have integrated graphics card and Express Card Slot. Looks like it is supported based on the following from owner's manual.

I am planning on using the following

I want to be able to keep the 500 GB Hybrid Drive for storage and boot from mSATA.

Looking at the posts it can be done. Looking feed back from the people who are using successfully and how much improvement does it make.

No Events found!