Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 12th, 2012 02:00

n5040 touchpad doesn't work too well.

Hi

Just got a Dell n5040 i3 machine, and it's all very nice, as i would expect from dell, except i find the Alps touchpad a bit poor. It sometimes jumps around when you attempt a two finger gestue, and the scrolling feature is difficult to utilise, its very jerky and erratic. If its a software problem, is it possible there's any better drivers around that could be used on it? I thought about just removing it and letting windows 7 drive it, but then there would be no scrolling?

3.8K Posts

February 12th, 2012 02:00

Hi Spark001uk,

Welcome to the Community. I suggest you uninstall the touchpad drivers and use the below link to reinstall it. To uninstall click on start, right click on computer, click on properties, click on device manager, click on the symbo, next to pointing devices, right click on Alps Touchpad and click on uninstall, click ok to confirm. Do not restart your computer, use the below link to download and reinstall the touchpad drivers and then restart your computer.

www.dell.com/.../DriverFileFormats

Click on start, control mouse, click on the Dell touchpad image, and adjust the scroll settings.

Thank you

Royan

5 Posts

February 12th, 2012 03:00

Hi

Thanks for the prompt response, and your suggestion. Unfortunately this I have already done, to no avail.

cheers

mark

3.8K Posts

February 12th, 2012 03:00

Hi Mark,

You can try restoring your computer back to factory settings, using the below link. If that does not help, click on my user name, and click on send email, with your service tag and phone number and address, will be glad to look into it for you.

support.dell.com/.../document

Note: The support site is going through an upgrade, so the link may not open, so try again later.

Thank you

Royan

No Events found!