Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

R

8 Posts

July 8th, 2004 22:00

random bars and pixelated squares cover the screen when booting up and or anything else.

I have a ATI Radeon 7500 in my inspiron 8100.

Just recently when booting up my computer the screen is all garbled with colored bars and squares that flicker and change.  Nothing is readable therefore I cannot get into windows.  This only happens after the computer has been on for a couple minutes and gets warm.  when cold, it usually starts fine but after a few minutes bars start to fill the screen. 

I have heard a lot of people are experiencing this problem after updateing their graphics chip bios and or updating its drivers.

I have no clue on how to fix this... please help.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 8th, 2004 23:00

Does the problem occur on an external display (monitor)?

If it doesn't, the LCD panel needs repair.  If it does, the video card is probably at fault.

Repair of an LCD panel is probably best left to a specialized shop -- and will cost about $200.

If the video is faulty, as I recall, this system needs a complete mainboard replacement - which will be expensive enough that  you may want to replace the system instead.

8 Posts

July 8th, 2004 23:00

I get the same problem when attaching another monitor

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 9th, 2004 00:00

One other thing to try would be safe mode -- if the problem occurs there, its a hardware issue and you're going to have to decide between a replacement mainboard ($500+labor) and a new system.

If the problem does not occur in safe mode, try updating or reinstalling your video drivers.

No Events found!