Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 18th, 2012 17:00

windows 8 made my touchpad stop working

So I got the windows 8 preview a while back and everything was working fine, then i updated to the release preview and all of the functions of my touchpad died. I can still move the cursor around, but it takes forever to move across the screen. My friend told me I had to download a new driver for my laptop. I have a Vostro 3555 btw. My friend recommended a synaptics one. 

So I went to the synaptics website and installed their newest touchpad driver that he downloaded for his computer. He has a different computer but also put windows 8 releease preview on it. He said the synaptic touchpad driver he got worked fine, it was the 64 bit one for windows 7. I checked to see if i had 32 or 64 windows 8, I have 64, and got the 64 windows 7 one thinking it would work. 

After it installed I went to the touchpad options screen and clicked on the synaptics button. There were no options for this driver. The speed of the cursur is still incredibly slow. I could increase the speed but it doesn't help too much and when I use my mouse for games, the mouse freaks out because the speed is at max.

Can someone please help me, If there is something I haven't added to this that is needed please let me know.

4.4K Posts

June 19th, 2012 05:00

Hi EngelPhi,

Welcome to the Community,

Did you try the Touchpad driver for your System model from Dell support website?

If not try downloading and installing it from this link (its windows 7 64 bit compatible): www.dell.com/.../DriverFileFormats

Though this driver has not been validated for Windows  8 preview but you can give it a try.If it still does not work try getting help on Windows 8 preview forum, as it has lot of Windows 8 preview users and some one may be able to help you.

Use this link for Windows 8 preview forum: answers.microsoft.com/.../windows_8

Thank You

2 Posts

June 19th, 2012 07:00

Thanks so much, it worked!

4.4K Posts

June 19th, 2012 08:00

Glad it started working.

No Events found!