Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

March 31st, 2011 10:00

xps1530 motherboard replacement - how unusual to have the NEW board fail in 15 minutes?

I've happily lived with my hot XPS1530 for 2+ years.  I use it for development, little gaming, so I've not had any issues with the NVidea chip situation.  The other day I had Dell replace my keyboard, and the support person OFFERED (surprised me) to replace the motherboard as well - apparently having 3 year next day service had me covered.  Sooo, out comes the tech, swaps out the keyboard and motherboard, tweeks a few settings and the unit boots.  Cool.

Ominously he says - hey, you have an old battery, this isn't covered by warranty.  Knowing this, and also knowing I am almost always on adapter power, having 30 minutes of life just isn't an issue.  So I didn't worry about it.  However, it appears the new motherboard did not see the battery at all.  So, 10 minutes *after* the tech left ;), I pulled the adapter to see how the battery played.  Poof - instant off.  Hmmm, not good.  So, question 1 - the battery, even if weak, should still be seen by the new/newer/refurbed motherboard, right?

Still not too worried, I plugged the adapter in, hit the power button.  The keyboard lights cycle, and I can hear the fan in very low speed mode, but all is dark.  Calling Dell back up, they said looks like I need yet another motherboard.  Anyone else had a motherboard fail that fast?

Thanks,

cg

5.2K Posts

March 31st, 2011 12:00

It may not be the system board, but the power board that is faulty. The tech could have done something wrong and fried the power board.

90 Posts

March 31st, 2011 12:00

That may be.  But a tech is coming out tomorrow with another motherboard.  We'll see.

I'm just glad I had my backup system ready to go.  It's a mid tower case, so hard to lug around ;)

No Events found!