SamSB
1 Copper

Change host name of mdw

Jump to solution

Is there any issue of changing mdw host name to a different name. Reason, is we have multiple appliances on our n/w and we want to change the hostname to be unique.

Thanks.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
ViadeaZhu
1 Nickel

Re: Change host name of mdw

Jump to solution

Hi,

Are you using Greenplum DCA? If so, in Admin Guide of 1.2.0.0, there are steps to change the hostname.

If you are software-only customer, is it possible to change the hostname before building the GP system?

If no, one possible and safe way is to dump GPDB before hostname change and restore it back.

SamSB
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hi,

Thanks for the response.

We are using GP DCA. Admin guide we use is -

Greenplum® Database 4.2 / Administrator Guide / P/N: 300-013-163 / Rev: A02

Tried to look up in the above admin guide and could not find. The admin guide mentioned "Admin Guide 1.2.0.0", is this different or am I missing something (under what section to look at would help if it is the guide 4.2).

Please provide a pointer.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
ViadeaZhu
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Hi,

Please search "Set custom hostnames on DCA hosts" in DCA 1.2.0.0 Admin Guide.

There are step by step for this change.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Aunderwoodii
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Even if it is feasible I personally prefer to leave them as default. There are a few reasons for this, it makes it easier for support to navigate your machine since the structure is understood, the risks associated with hostname changes and aplications (if active in DNS) and it also ensures that any Greenplum based automation that uses the hostnames will work as well. The last is probably not an issue, but I've dealt with a few DCAs and don't really see too many people stray from the base hostnames.

Don't forget to make sure ETL on your end gets changed to the new hostnames as well as the required DNS entries if you use DNS instead of IPs. Personally I would set low TTLs on those (say 5-10 minutes) a few days before in order to ensure that there is a smooth, quick transition to the new hostnames.

JTC1
1 Copper

Jump to solution

While yes you can change the hostname of the MDW this can effect dial home.  This will also effect DCA upgrades in the future.

Both the Dialhome process and the DCA upgrade process expect nameing conventions too be followed unless there is some over whelming reason to change the name I'd advise leaving it set to the default.

John Cox

PFSS Greenplum

EMC Corp.