Highlighted
Oscar_Wardhana
1 Nickel

How to proactively replace disk drive on DCAv2

Hi Guys,

I need to replaced a disk on DCAv2 proactively, did anyone know the recommended step for this? I means how to run copy to HS before we can replace the bad disk.

Please advice

regards,

Oscar Wardhana

0 Kudos
3 Replies
PedalHarder
2 Iron

Re: How to proactively replace disk drive on DCAv2

We just did this recently. The procedure does not cater for pro-active drive replace very well.  If you follow the proc as close as you can, you really need two site visits because you are not supposed to put the replacement drive in until the HS copy is complete.

When you pull the working drive, it initiates a HS copy. You can sit there for hours and wait for it or come back later.

In our case we just put the replacement drive in while the HS is being copied. Later on we accessed the box remotely to manually copy back the HS.

So in summary, the process needs to get broken into two parts as there is a wait time for the HS copy. Following the proc means a long wait at customer site or re-visit. Our method still requires some wait time but is more efficient as the last part can be done remotely.

0 Kudos
Oscar_Wardhana
1 Nickel

Hi Jason,

Thanks for your information.it is means we just pull the working drive, wait for few second waiting the hs kickin and the we can insert a new disk? No need wait rebuild completed on HS to insert a new drive right?

Please advice

0 Kudos
PedalHarder
2 Iron

To be clear, the procedure we used was not officially EMC sanctioned.

Yes, pull the working drive

Check that the HS has been invoked

We put the new drive in after the above check as the system is remote and did not want to wait for HS copy or re-visit the site. If you don't have that restriction, then follow the procedure and wait for the HS copy to complete.

In our case, the copyback process started automatically after the HS copy completed (correcting my earlier post).

One the HS copy is complete, check if the copy back has started. If not, start it manually.

0 Kudos