We want to run EMC Grabs to gather data from ESXi 4.1 in this regards need your input on how to run this utility as ESXi doesnt have console?
Appreciate all inputs.
Firstly, please note that there are two separate grab utilities: one for ESX where, as you know, the user has access to the console and can upload and run it directly on the server and another for ESXi where you extract it and run it remotely from a windows host.
They are both available separately from either:
1) Direct download (FTP):
2) PowerLink via the following breadcrumb trail:
Home > Support > Product and Diagnostic Tools > Grab Utilities
In either location, there will be an accompanying README file with the known issues, instructions, and supported syntax. For instance, a common usage is as follows (obtains host grab information in addition to the familiar vm-support output):
emcgrab.exe -host <ip> -user <user> -password <password> -vmsupport
Please note the following known issues (as stated in the README file) related to the syntax above:
9] Currently there is an issue with passwords that contain the following characters "<>&'
10] Currently there is an issue logging in using the ESXi server hostname.
Please use the IP address.
Download link for EMC GRAB for ESXi: ftp://ftp.emc.com/pub/emcgrab/ESXi/
Download link for EMC GRAB for ESX: ftp://ftp.emc.com/pub/emcgrab/ESX/
1) Open cmd in Windows machine from where the ESX/ESXi server is accessible.
2) Execute java -version command to verify that Java is installed properly or not. If you get the output of this command with the java version information, then the java is installed properly, otherwise you need to install Java first. If it is required to install java, you can download the latest version of JDK from www.oracle.com > Java > Java SE.
3) Change your current working directory to the directory where you have placed EMC host grab utility. Suppose you have placed the grab utility in the C:\ drive then the command would be:
C:\> cd C:\EMC-ESXi-GRAB-1.3.X
4) Below is the command to gather the EMC host grabs for VMware host. Keep the information ready with you for IP address, username and password of ESXi Server, IP address of SPA and SPB, username and password for all the storages attached to that host as this command may ask to enter these details.
C:\EMC-ESXi-GRAB-1.3.X> emcgrab.exe –host <IP_Address_of_ESXi> -user <username_of_ESXi> -password <password_of_ESXi> -vmsupport
5) It will ask you to enter some information related to the customer site like name, address, site id etc. and after entering all the information, host grabs gathering process will start with “………………” and you will get cmd prompt back after some time. Let the command run properly.
6) Output will be saved under the folder name as “Output” in the same directory where you have placed ESXi host grab utility in your Windows machine. The output file will be in .zip format. In this case the path would be “C:\EMC-ESXi-GRAB-1.3.x\Output”
Let me know if you have any doubt regarding this.
I have some ESXi behind a firewall is it a way to lunch the ESXI-GRAB from the LAN ? if yes what is the Ports Number/Protocol that must be opened ?
You must first enable the SSH service on the ESXi host which can be achieved from vCentre
Once that is completed, you need SSH port 22 available for the grab to collect.
You cannot run the ESXiGrab directly on the ESXi Servers. You must install the ESXiGrab on the Windows vSphere client and run the grab remotely.
Once installed, use the following syntax: emcgrab.exe –host <ip of ESXiServer> -user <username> -password <password> -legal –autoexec –vmsupport
Also, ports 443 and 5989 must be open on the ESXi servers.