Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

March 8th, 2011 03:00

EMC Grabs for ESXi

Hi All,

We want to run EMC Grabs to gather data from ESXi 4.1 in this regards need your input on how to run this utility as ESXi doesnt have console?

Appreciate all inputs.

regards,

Samir

234 Posts

March 8th, 2011 04:00

Hi Chris,

So get to the ESXi console i need tech support mode console open to extract the file?

regards,

Samir

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

you extract it locally and then run it on your workstation

234 Posts

Thanks shall give it a try.

regards,

Samir

Firstly, please note that there are two separate grab utilities: one for ESX where, as you know, the user has access to the console and can upload and run it directly on the server and another for ESXi where you extract it and run it remotely from a windows host.

They are both available separately from either:

1) Direct download (FTP):

ftp.emc.com/pub/emcgrab/ESXi
ftp.emc.com/pub/emcgrab/ESX

2) PowerLink via the following breadcrumb trail:

Home > Support > Product and Diagnostic Tools > Grab Utilities

In either location, there will be an accompanying README file with the known issues, instructions, and supported syntax.  For instance, a common usage is as follows (obtains host grab information in addition to the familiar vm-support output):

emcgrab.exe -host -user -password -vmsupport

Please note the following known issues (as stated in the README file) related to the syntax above:

[...]

9] Currently there is an issue with passwords that contain the following characters "<>&'

10] Currently there is an issue logging in using the ESXi server hostname.
Please use the IP address.
[...]

234 Posts

March 9th, 2011 21:00

Thanks

February 20th, 2013 18:00

Download link for EMC GRAB for ESXi: ftp://ftp.emc.com/pub/emcgrab/ESXi/

Download link for EMC GRAB for ESX: ftp://ftp.emc.com/pub/emcgrab/ESX/

Steps:

1) Open cmd in Windows machine from where the ESX/ESXi server is accessible.

2) Execute java -version command to verify that Java is installed properly or not. If you get the output of this command with the java version information, then the java is installed properly, otherwise you need to install Java first. If it is required to install java, you can download the latest version of JDK from www.oracle.com > Java > Java SE.

3) Change your current working directory to the directory where you have placed EMC host grab utility. Suppose you have placed the grab utility in the C:\ drive then the command would be:

C:\> cd C:\EMC-ESXi-GRAB-1.3.X

4) Below is the command to gather the EMC host grabs for VMware host. Keep the information ready with you for IP address, username and password of ESXi Server, IP address of SPA and SPB, username and password for all the storages attached to that host as this command may ask to enter these details.

C:\EMC-ESXi-GRAB-1.3.X> emcgrab.exe –host -user -password -vmsupport

5) It will ask you to enter some information related to the customer site like name, address, site id etc. and after entering all the information, host grabs gathering process will start with “………………” and you will get cmd prompt back after some time. Let the command run properly.

6) Output will be saved under the folder name as “Output” in the same directory where you have placed ESXi host grab utility in your Windows machine. The output file will be in .zip format. In this case the path would be “C:\EMC-ESXi-GRAB-1.3.x\Output

Let me know if you have any doubt regarding this.

Cheers,

Shivam

32 Posts

August 1st, 2014 05:00

Dear Shivam,

I have some ESXi behind a firewall is it a way to lunch the ESXI-GRAB from the LAN ? if yes what is the Ports Number/Protocol that must be opened ?

Thank you,

17 Posts

August 1st, 2014 05:00

Hi kMouline

You must first enable the SSH service on the ESXi host which can be achieved from vCentre

Once that is completed, you need SSH port 22 available for the grab to collect.

Kind Regards,

Martin

16 Posts

March 18th, 2015 10:00

Hi kMouline

You cannot run the ESXiGrab directly on the ESXi Servers. You must install the ESXiGrab on the Windows vSphere client and run the grab remotely.

Once installed, use the following syntax: emcgrab.exe –host -user -password -legal –autoexec –vmsupport

Also, ports 443 and 5989 must be open on the ESXi servers.

1 Message

September 16th, 2016 03:00

Hello All,

I am facing the below error while trying to get the grabs logs

-host must be specified using a valid IP Address

But i am giving the correct ESXi IP

2 Posts

November 4th, 2016 02:00

Please help me to run this command for multiple host...because I have 100 host to get host grab details. So it is very difficult to run 100 time manually

2 Posts

November 4th, 2016 02:00

I could run this command successfully. But I have 100 host so is there any command to run for for multiple host.

278 Posts

November 4th, 2016 05:00

Hello,

there is tool "Environment Collection Tool" to speed up the process that automates grab collection, provided that there is network access from the management console to the hosts.

February 3rd, 2017 03:00

Did you get any solution for this? I'm also getting the same error.

February 5th, 2017 20:00

I'm getting error "-host must be specified using a valid IP Address". I'm able to ping & telnet IP at port 80,443,5989,22.
Please help!!

No Events found!