Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 4th, 2014 12:00

HBA Drivers & Firmware

What is the preferred (best practice) way to maintain current levels of HBA Drivers & Firmware? Some are EMC rebranded Emulex HBA cards -- Would that mean to use EMC's website as the source or Emulex as the source which would be equivalent? For example,  EMC LPe12002-E 8Gb 2-port PCIe Fibre Channel Adapter. Also, there is the other component, the fabric array, would it dictate a cross-reference in determining  the HBA driver & firmware version can be applied?

February 8th, 2014 02:00

"So EMC recommends sticking with what is in the OEM (EMC tested/certified) versioning and not using the link by emulex for Non-OEM qualified?"

Answer: Yes, stick with the drivers in the OEM section

HTH,

Edwin.

If this answer was useful, please "Mark as Answer" and "Like"

February 5th, 2014 05:00

Hi geaux_tigers,

Best practices would be to check/test/deploy the latest drivers/firmware once or twice annually, or as per normal operating procedures you may have for checking/testing/deploying drivers for other hardware of your server, such as NICs or Operating System patches.

You can get the drivers/firmware from the Emulex.com website; from the EMC section.

Let me use the LPe12002-E as an example:

1) In a browser go to http://www.emulex.com

2) click on "Downloads"

3) click on the "EMC logo"

4) click on "Fibre Channel Host Bus Adapters for VNX (including VNXe) Symmetrix and Clariion"

5) Now click on your adapter model, in this example "LPe12002-E

You can now notice "emc" in the URL of the landing page for the LPe12002-E: http://www.emulex.com/downloads/oem-qualified/emc/vnx-hbas/lpe12002-e/firmware-and-boot-code/

On this page you can download the Firmware/Bootcode, click on "Drivers" to go to your Operating System selection.

HTH,

Edwin.

February 5th, 2014 06:00

Edwin, thanks for your input. That is exactly the process I'm been going through. I happen to notice Emulex supplies more frequent updates to the "equivalent" models for all rebranded HBA cards, for example http://www.emulex.com/downloads/emulex/firmware-and-boot-code/lpe12002/firmware-and-boot-code/  for the LPe12002 / LPe12002-E HBA Model. So EMC recommends sticking with what is in the OEM (EMC tested/certified) versioning and not using the link by emulex for Non-OEM qualified? I just want to verify that since it could open the door for two possible methods to find updated drivers/firmware. Just to make sure, EMC doesn't post any of the downloads on its website?

Our current compliance reporting process is on a monthly basis, but the actual update will vary depending on urgency & opportunity.

Thanks!

Sam

February 12th, 2014 06:00

Hi Edwin,

Here is a scenario I’ve come across, if the HP server with HP branded HBA is connected to an EMC SAN, which one  HP, EMC, or the “generic” Emulex equivalent (OEM drivers/firmware on the HBA) takes precedence?

February 12th, 2014 11:00

Sam,

the scenario you are painting here is a different one.

If you are using HP (OEM) branded HBA cards, then it is upto HP to advice what drivers are the latest tested and qualified for EMC storage

So in that case you do not download from the Emulex site (neither the generic, nor the EMC section) you will have to download from-or-ask HP support.

HTH,

Edwin.

February 12th, 2014 14:00

Thanks Edwin!

No Events found!