Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 19th, 2014 21:00

Host based Migration using Open Migrator / LM, Unable to attach the volume

Hi Techies,

I need to do a migration from CX4 to new VMAX

Operating system : Windows Server 2008 Enterprise x64 Release 2, SP1.

The Disk has 3 volumes and this is a clustered disk, also the clustered server is not being used temporarily.
its not advised to take the disk from cluster, because later the cluster will be used.

When i tried to attach the volume to open migrator other local disk i was able to do it, however failing to attach this clustered disk.
Please suggest!!!

Cheers,
Paul

86 Posts

February 19th, 2014 21:00

Hi Paul, do not use Open Migrator to migrate this disk. A disk with 3 volumes on it is against Microsoft Best Practice for Failover Clusters. Open Migrator will most likely fail and you could end up with a major problem.

Migrate this specific disk using other tools like RoboCopy and ensure that you separate the volumes on to 3 target disks and volumes.

Use Open Migrator on any of the other disks with single volumes only.

Regards, Michel.

51 Posts

February 19th, 2014 22:00

Hi Mich,

Thanks for your quicker response,
Just want to confirm, if the disk have partitions in it in that case open migrator doesnt work?
Because the option itself was not enabled to attach the volume to migrator

for eg: Disk 10 has 3 partitions
Home L:

Data M:
Backup O:

I can attach the volumes M & O, failing to attach the L: and that is the first partition in the disk.

In this case open migrator is not advisable ?

Thanks,
Paul

86 Posts

February 19th, 2014 22:00

Hi Paul, I would recommend against using Open Migrator for any of those 3 volumes (L, M, O) on the disk.

You could probably get away with it on a Single host (non Clustered), and doing seperate migrations after each has completed.

Regards, Michel.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

February 20th, 2014 05:00

Paul,

why not use PowerPath Migraiton enabled, version 5.7 SP1 can migrate all cluster enabled volumes online.

86 Posts

February 20th, 2014 12:00

Hi, I think it would be best to "fix" this disk so that we don't have 3 volumes on it. Microsoft do not support this configuration ina  Failover Cluster.

Michel.

34 Posts

February 20th, 2014 13:00

You have mentioned that the option is unavailable for L: Does that volume have an active partition? OM wouldnt support that.

51 Posts

February 21st, 2014 06:00

Thanks everyone,
will try for open replicator or other migration tool..

No Events found!