Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 13th, 2013 09:00

Host zonned to both FA ports i:e FA:7A0, 7A1 but only logged onto 1

Hi,

For some reason I am zonning a Host to VMAX FA 7A0, 7A1 and when I see its only showing me logged in on 1 of them.

Other FA 7A1 is not showing as logged in.

How ever when a Host checks the Power Path, total path active for a LUN presented are for both FA ports.

Is there a reason why its showing as logged in to only 1 FA port , is it becuase both ports on same processor FA:7 share the login database ??

Please enlighten me... (i do know that its not best practice etc... but my question here is a bit different).

Thanks in advance.

2.1K Posts

August 14th, 2013 00:00

Hi kbhatt_ie

Normally, Symm stores the entry for any HBAs logged in FA port no matter if it's in same FA. I guess you can't find the HBA WWN in the output of symaccess list logins? Is your HBA dual port. if so ,the WWN of two ports is different. If you did zoning for only one HBA port to two Symm FA port. That's normal behavior for loging only one FA port.

5 Posts

August 14th, 2013 05:00

Hi Fenglin Li,

I have already zonned in same host port(with same pwwn) to  two FA ports on same Director . i:e 7E:0 & 7E:1.

When I run the symaccess list logins ...

I can see host_port pwwn logged in to 7E:0 but its showing up as not logged in to 7E:1 .

Then I removed the zone of host_port to 7E:0 and .... it did a reverse of above, i:e 7E:1 is now logged in and 7E:0 is not which is fine.

Then I put back both zones for 7E:0 and 7E:1 ...now 7E:1 is still logged in but the re-added zone of 7E:0 is still showing as not logged in.

Now, when both Fa ports are zonned in... powerpath at host is showing all paths are active through both 7E:0 and 7E:1, even though symaccess list logins is showing one of the port host is not logged in.....

465 Posts

August 14th, 2013 16:00

I am not sure why the output does not show logged in to both ports, but using both ports on a single FA to the same host is not a very good idea. Both ports share the same FA CPU so there is no performance benefit from doing this, just (some) redundancy benefit.

2.1K Posts

August 15th, 2013 01:00

That's weird.... Maybe there is known issue. I found two KB which describe similar issues. You may verify if you do have same Enginuity version

https://support.emc.com/kb/77195

https://support.emc.com/kb/82835

No Events found!