2 Bronze

Host zonned to both FA ports i:e FA:7A0, 7A1 but only logged onto 1

Hi,

For some reason I am zonning a Host to VMAX FA 7A0, 7A1 and when I see its only showing me logged in on 1 of them.

Other FA 7A1 is not showing as logged in.

How ever when a Host checks the Power Path, total path active for a LUN presented are for both FA ports.

Is there a reason why its showing as logged in to only 1 FA port , is it becuase both ports on same processor FA:7 share the login database ??

Please enlighten me... (i do know that its not best practice etc... but my question here is a bit different).

Thanks in advance.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
4 Germanium

Re: Host zonned to both FA ports i:e FA:7A0, 7A1 but only logged onto 1

Hi

0 Kudos
2 Bronze

Hi Fenglin Li,

I have already zonned in same host port(with same pwwn) to  two FA ports on same Director . i:e 7E:0 & 7E:1.

When I run the symaccess list logins ...

I can see host_port pwwn logged in to 7E:0 but its showing up as not logged in to 7E:1 .

Then I removed the zone of host_port to 7E:0 and .... it did a reverse of above, i:e 7E:1 is now logged in and 7E:0 is not which is fine.

Then I put back both zones for 7E:0 and 7E:1 ...now 7E:1 is still logged in but the re-added zone of 7E:0 is still showing as not logged in.

Now, when both Fa ports are zonned in... powerpath at host is showing all paths are active through both 7E:0 and 7E:1, even though symaccess list logins is showing one of the port host is not logged in.....

0 Kudos
3 Zinc

I am not sure why the output does not show logged in to both ports, but using both ports on a single FA to the same host is not a very good idea. Both ports share the same FA CPU so there is no performance benefit from doing this, just (some) redundancy benefit.

0 Kudos
4 Germanium

That's weird.... Maybe there is known issue. I found two KB which describe similar issues. You may verify if you do have same Enginuity version

https://support.emc.com/kb/77195

https://support.emc.com/kb/82835

0 Kudos