Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 10th, 2009 12:00

How do I create save pool or save devs to be used with symsnap

Hi,

I am new to symsnap. How do I create save devs from existing hypers / meta and create a svp?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

2.1K Posts

March 10th, 2009 13:00

The good news is that almost everything you need to know about this can be found in three documents available on Powerlink:

Solutions Enabler SymmCLI TimeFinder Product Guide
Solutions Enabler SymmCLI Command Reference
Solutions Enabler SymmCLI Array Controls Product Guide

I highly suggest you start with the TimeFinder Product Guide for a good understanding of what you want to do. The last two are invaluable for general understanding of array functions and controls through Solutions Enabler.

Now for the bad news. You can't make SAV devs directly from your STDs or Metas (someone correct me if this has changed). You will need to destroy the devices and build new devices that are defined as SAV devs right from the start.

If you are not comfortable doing this with Solutions Enabler, SMC, or ControlCenter, you should probably talk to your Account Team and get you TC engaged. EMC can do this for you with a BIN file as well.

2.8K Posts

March 11th, 2009 03:00

Now for the bad news. You can't make SAV devs
directly from your STDs or Metas (someone correct me
if this has changed). You will need to destroy the
devices and build new devices that are defined as SAV
devs right from the start.

Not that bad, you'd agree ;-)
Just a little more jigsaw work (thus more fun) :-)

However you are still right AFAIK .. I had to "convert" unused savedevices into "host usable" devices and I had to delete SAVE devices and create brand new symdevs in two different steps. :-)

2.1K Posts

March 11th, 2009 06:00

It's only "bad news" for people who are unfamiliar with the process. I still remember the first time I had to manually destroy devices and build new ones. I was pretty nervous about messing up the entire system. Especially when you are doing it purely command line, you have to check (and double check) everything carefully to make sure you don't accidentally destroy something you didn't mean to.

Or, you could run into a problem like one of my co-workers where they created a bunch of devices that we now have to migrate off of because he misread the configuration he was trying to copy from another array. He was trying to set up devices that could eventually be used as SRDF R1s to a DR site. He made the devices 1 cylinder too small. Now we can SRDF to the DR site, but could never go back again *lol*

2.8K Posts

March 11th, 2009 07:00

He was trying to set up devices that could
eventually be used as SRDF R1s to a DR site. He made
the devices 1 cylinder too small. Now we can SRDF to
the DR site, but could never go back again *lol*

Not that *lol* IMHO :D

In the past "someone" had to add PER flag to a few volumes.. Using ECC he changed PER on affected volumes. ECC suggested to remove RDF protection before changing PER ... and he choose to go even further .. he converted devices from 2-way-mir+RDF to unprotected ;-) ..
Oh BTW the box was a good old 8830 with code 5568 .. Thus we wasn't able to delete devices online .. Thus the box lived all its life with a few unprotected (unused) volumes ;-)

I guess that both GUI and CLI are powerfull tools .. And while a tool is a tool, a fool with a tool is always .. you know the end ;-)

Message was edited by:
Stefano Del Corno

419 Posts

March 30th, 2009 04:00

Hi Guys,
just to add to all this, I wrote a solution on creating savedevs some time ago that might come in useful here. emc180481

"How do I calculate hoe much space is needed for a SAVE DEV?"

It's important to note if you are deleting devices and creating savdevs in the gaps, the SAVE Dev will need additional overhead 1 block per track, this means that when you are specifying the sie of your save dev in cylinders you need to take into account that some additional space is needed.

Of course you can always do the trial and error method with preview on your symconfigure but this will save you some time.

This solution will not apply to raid-5 or raid-6 savedevs, we tried to get a calcuation for this but there were too many things to factor in... Trial and error is your best bet for RAID5 or RAID6.

2.8K Posts

March 30th, 2009 06:00

@Paul, nice note!

@everyone else: when you use a primus and find it useful, please leave your positive feedback. This will help our Tech writers in writing better solutions! And possibily also receiving awards ;-)

419 Posts

March 31st, 2009 02:00

Thanks Stefano, it's also useful to us if you leave comments, constructive critism is always appreciated. What might seem like a good explanation to me might not necessarily be understandable to others,
No Events found!