Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

January 15th, 2014 11:00

LUN activity monitoring/alerting

Hi,

I'm trying to determine how I can set up an alert - like if LUN 800 goes over 80% utilization or if LUN 1300 queue depth goes over 5, an email is sent.

Is there a method by which this can be done?

Thanks,

Rich

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

January 15th, 2014 12:00

what array ?

10 Posts

January 15th, 2014 13:00

VNX 5300, 5500 NS-480 & CX3-80

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

January 15th, 2014 13:00

willing to do some scripting ?

naviseccli -Address vnx5700spa -Scope 0 -User sysadmin -Password blah lun -list -l 437    

LOGICAL UNIT NUMBER 437

Name:  LUN 437

UID:  60:06:01:60:13:1C:32:00:9C:9C:E4:37:2B:7E:E3:11

Current Owner:  SP B

Default Owner:  SP B

Allocation Owner:  SP B

User Capacity (Blocks):  20971520

User Capacity (GBs):  10.000   <-----------

Consumed Capacity (Blocks):  6303744

Consumed Capacity (GBs):  3.006 <----------

Pool Name:  Pool 0

Raid Type:  Mixed

Offset:  0

Auto-Assign Enabled:  DISABLED

Auto-Trespass Enabled:  DISABLED

Current State:  Ready

Is Faulted:  false

Is Transitioning:  false

Current Operation:  None

Current Operation State:  N/A

Current Operation Status:  N/A

Current Operation Percent Completed:  0

Is Pool LUN:  Yes

Is Thin LUN:  Yes

Is Private:  No

Is Compressed:  No

Tiering Policy:  Auto Tier

Initial Tier:  Highest Available

Tier Distribution:

Extreme Performance:  100.00%

I am not sure if you are running "VNX Monitoring and Reporting" i think you can setup some alerts in there but that will cover VNX, it does not support older platforms.

As far as getting queue length, i am not sure about that metric ..poke around in Navicli admin guide.

10 Posts

January 15th, 2014 14:00

Thanks, dynamox.

I guess I should have been more specific - when I say util%, I mean the Characteristic Utilization (%) as can be seen in the Performance Detail chart from NaviAnalyzer.  Same for queue depth.

Not afraid of scripting, however, I would have thought there would be something in Unisphere/Navi UI.

I'll look through the admin guide.

Is there noone monitoring the performance of their LUNs at the SAN?

If there are, what do you use?

10 Posts

Thanks again, dynamox.

Yep, looking for "realtime".  Analyzer/NARs have a "large grained" interval (5min).  The chart(s) have 1min.  I'd prefer 1sec...

I can keep the Performance Detail screen up showing Utilization and Queue Length to get the "per minute" view "realtime", however, I can't watch it 24x7 .  I'd rather have an email/page sent if one of the critical LUNs breaches our internal SLA.

Will "VNX Monitoring and Reporting" do this?

Is there anything that will do this for the NS-480 and/or CX3-80?

10 Posts

For what it's worth, the lowest collection value for Analyzer is 5min (300sec).  This is why I was looking at the Performance Detail chart - it charts every minute.  We have very tight externally facing SLAs here (5sec total time in our environment), thus every ms counts.  I've noticed that (for the SAN) anytime we have a critical LUN go over 80% or that LUNs queue depth goes over 5, it indicates we might start to violate those timing SLAs.  I was/am trying to head that off by sending alert(s) when that/those happen (try to get the machine to tell you something's wrong before something actually is...).

I'll take a look at "VNX Monitoring and Reporting".

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

i have not played with VNX Monitoring and Reporting a whole but EMC offers a free 90 day license, install it and give a shot. I can't think of 3rd party tools for CX3/4 platform ..heard some folks talk about SolarWinds but don't have personal experience with it.

Realtime stats...that's going to be a tough one. I can't remember what the lowest collection value was for Analyzer, obviously it will add more load to CPUs and your archive files will roll-over much faster.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

for my Clariion/VNX i am using Uni/Navi Analyzer , i archive them every week to an external directory and the delete old archives from SP. This way i can reference older NAR files if someones wants to go back and look at how application "A" performed 3 months ago.  I think you are looking for something more pro-active, real-time ?

We just recently purchased a VNX5600 that comes with a free license for "VNX Monitoring and Reporting". It can monitor VNX2 and VNX gen arrays. I am actually  impressed, it has good performance statistics.

10 Posts

January 16th, 2014 09:00

It appears that version 1.1 includes (among other things) alerts; even a pre-defined alert for LUN response time:

VNX Monitoring and Reporting 1.1 Released | Hoosier Storage Guy

Even states it's supported for the CX4 - very close - I'll try to test it.

Thanks dynamox!

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

January 20th, 2014 05:00

sure, let us know how it works out for ya

No Events found!