Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 26th, 2010 11:00

Mainframe srdf/a DB2

Hello,

I've started replicating our mainframe DB2 environment with srdf/a from California to Texas.  A group of 50 mod9 volumes makes up all the database, Index and required Vsam files.  On two mod3 other volumes we have the DB2 active logs.  All of these volumes are in the same device and SRDF groups.

Replication works very well during the day.  At night when batch is running there is a huge amount of changed tracks so lots of data going down the 2 DS3 circuits at that time.

This weekend we may do our first DB2 reorg since we set up SRDF.  I'm not sure how the reorg works but I'm concerned that it has the potential of changing almost every track on al 52 volumes??  If this occurs it will flood our DS3s links.  I'm worried about SRDF dropping during this period (middle of the night).

Just wondering if my fears are justified.  How do other customers handle re-orgs?

465 Posts

July 27th, 2010 23:00

Hi,

When we design an SRDF/A solution, one of the tasks is to confirm that the SRDF/A bandwith exceeds the peak write workload. This is done to ensure the solution is solid. Your local EMC rep can take your Perfomance manager data and run it through our checker  to give you the required bandwidth. The Performace manager data needs to cover your peak workload periods, including REORGS / DEFRAGS / Image copies to disk etc.

If your SRDF/A bandwidth is insufficient you risk compromising your DR RPO.

It's possible to manage around these peak periods, but again, it compromises the RPO... Typically customers don't do this, they ensure there is enough bandwidth.

1.3K Posts

July 31st, 2010 06:00

we take a good local BCV copy prior to starting the re-rog and at the remote side we keep good copy of GBCV too and kept SRDF/A in acp_disk mode( other wise links  are dropping due to heavy traffic)

465 Posts

August 1st, 2010 17:00

What you are doing will ensure you mantain a DR position provided your BCV copy at the R2 end is taken in a consistent manner. 

No Events found!