Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 5th, 2015 14:00

ODM HACMP support on AIX

I have recently had to use the latest ODM drivers since XtremIO isn't supported by my "certified AIX version" of 5.3.0.5.  And I noticed that 5.3.1.0 no longer includes high-availability support software for all platforms.  Strangely enough, it still includes emcpowerreset utility.  Is the high-availability support software now a separate download?  Because I don't see /usr/lpp/EMC/Symmetrix/bin/symcurrent or /usr/lpp/EMC/CLARiiON/bin/clarcurrent utilities anymore, but /usr/sbin/cluster/diag/clconraid.dat configuration file is still installed by 5.3.1.0.

Below is an output of software components included with 5.3.0.5 ODM driver, and highlighted in red are what's missing in 5.3.1.0:

5.3.0.5  EMC CELERRA AIX Support Software

5.3.0.5  EMC CELERRA iSCSI Support Software

5.3.0.5  EMC CLARiiON FCP MPIO Support Software

5.3.0.5  EMC CLARiiON HA Concurrent Support

5.3.0.5  EMC CLARiiON iSCSI Support Software

5.3.0.5  EMC INVISTA AIX Support Software

5.3.0.5  EMC INVISTA FCP Support Software

5.3.0.5  EMC Symmetrix AIX Support Software

5.3.0.5  EMC Symmetrix FCP MPIO Support Software

5.3.0.5  EMC Symmetrix FCP Support Software

5.3.0.5  EMC Symmetrix HA Concurrent Support

5.3.0.5  EMC Symmetrix iSCSI Support Software

Can anybody provide clarification on how to ensure the necessary software configured properly for PowerHA for CLARiiON, Symmetrix and XtremIO?  Thanks!

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 6th, 2015 03:00

Hi Johnho,

The HA Concurrent Support filesets were removed in the 5.3.0.9 version of the ODM definitions as they were no longer required.

The functionality provided by the HA Concurrent support filesets was only required up to and including HACMP 5.1, which went end of support with IBM in 2006.

With the functionality no longer required for the versions of PowerHA that IBM currently support (6.1/7.1),  the decision was taken to remove these filesets from the ODM definitions.

The README file associated with the  5.3.0.9 ODM Definitions refer to this:

OPT 433503 =  Removed HA concurrent support package for Symmetrix and CLARiiON considering those versions of HACMP are no longer supported.

Therefore regardless of whether the Symm/Clariion/XtremIO devices are being used in a PowerHA 6.1/7.1 clustered environment or not, there is no requirement to install the EMC HA Concurrent Support Filesets that were previously available in pre-5.3.0.9 versions of the ODM definitions.

Best Regards

Owen

14 Posts

February 6th, 2015 03:00

If you take a look at the 5.3.0.9/6.0.0.4 readme file in the ODM module, you'll find the following(which was very hard to locate):

OPT 433503 = Removed HA concurrent support package for Symmetrix and CLARiiON considering

those versions of HACMP are no longer supported. Manual deinstallation of the

fileset is required if it's no longer needed.

The HA fileset was needed for HACMP 5.1 and below.  It's not needed now.

For XtremIO, I believe you should be using one of the recent ODM versions which has XtremIO support.
(Again, you will probably have to check the readme files in the ODM one by one for any differences)

Regards

Ryoko

10 Posts

February 6th, 2015 08:00

Thanks Owen & Ray.  This is interesting, because back during the days of HACMP 5.4.1 (a major mid cycle release), I still had to use the HA concurrent support filesets.  If HA concurrent support filesets are no longer needed, why would EMC still package /usr/sbin/cluster/diag/clconraid.dat in ODM 5.3.1.0?  The two utilities I mentioned that comes from the HA concurrent support filesets are used to set up this clconraid.dat file.  Oh well, I went ahead and manually configured the clconraid.dat file and see if that works.

December 23rd, 2015 20:00

very thanks.

No Events found!