Anonymous
Not applicable

Whats steps in AIX should be taken when dynamically changing a STD device to an R1

Hi, I'm looking for some advice on how to deal with AIX devices dynamically changing from STD to RDF1 devices.

A customer is planning to use SRDF to copy data from a DMX to new VMAX. They will make the STD device dynamic RDF and then issue the createpair command. The customer wants to run the systems for a week on the old DMX before migrating the AIX host over to VMAX.

What is the safest way to deal with the device personality change? I know that if a cfgmgr is run or the host is rebooted that a new hdisk will be created and the old hdisk will go to a defined state.

I'm not sure if AIX can handle this with no impact.

My preference would be to remove the disks from the AIX system by

unmounting filesystems

vary off volume groups

rmdev all the hdisks

Make the RDF createpair

run cfgmgr

vary on volume groups

mount filesystems

But this would require a service variance.

Can somebody advise what is the best way to deal with changing STD devices to RDF dynamically on AIX? Also, if I go with my prefrence should i also export the volume groups?

Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
rohang1
3 Silver

Re: Whats steps in AIX should be taken when dynamically changing a STD device to an R1

Hello Jellen.

Did you get a chance to run an RDF createpair just by making the devices dynamic RDF capable?

I believe you should be able to run one, even if you do not run a cfgmgr or reboot the host to change the underlying disk definitions in the ODM from "EMC Symmetrix FCP RAID1/5" to something like a "EMC Symmetrix RDF " ..

thanks.

0 Kudos