Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 14th, 2007 09:00

suggestions on symclone/symmir scenario

I have an interesting layout that I need to maintain and I wanted to see if there was a better way to accomplish this.

My overall question is that since these are all standards, is there a better method than symclone or any symclone flags that would speed things up. It currently takes 2 hours to clone the disks each way, so if I need to get a complete copy of ISTG to IPRF, then it takes me 4 hours.

Bear with me and I'll try to set it up

I have 2 AIX hosts that we use for software testing, one that we use, and one that's constantly updated from developers.

HOST1 = ISTG
disks: hdiskpower0(2eb standard),hdiskpower9 (132 standard) softwarevg
hdiskpower6(2f9 standard) oracledb1vg
hdiskpower7(311 standard) oracledb2vg

BCV: b47 (BCV copy of 2f9)
49f (BCV copy of 311)

---------------------
Disks not attached to any host = NOHOST

517 (standard clone of 2eb)
519 (standard clone of 132)
470 (standard clone of 2f9)
4ff (standard clone of 311)
----------------------
HOST2 = IPRF
disks: hdiskpower1(2f1 standard),hdiskpower8 (1fc standard) softwarevg
hdiskpower6(329 standard) oracledb1vg
hdiskpower7(341 standard) oracledb2vg

BCV: 4cf (BCV copy of 2f9)
4e7 (BCV copy of 341)

-----------------------

Ok, This is what I do with these disks

1. symclone the ISTG environment weekly to the NOHOST disks from 8-10pm

2. symclone as needed from the NOHOST disks to the IPRF environment in order to reset environment to the latest state.

3. symmir backup of both environments to the BCV disks prior to major database changes

-------------------
symclone script:

#Perform the symclone via EMC symcli
#
echo "symclone copy started `date`" >>time
symclone -sid 000 -f /home/scripts/clone/iprf_clone.dev create -copy -differential -noprompt
echo "symclone activate `date`"
symclone -sid 000 -f /home/scripts/clone/iprf_clone.dev activate -noprompt
set +x
#
# Verify that clone is complete
while [[ $RC != 0 ]]
do
symclone -sid 000 -f /home/scripts/clone/iprf_clone.dev verify -copied >/dev/null
RC=$?
sleep 60
done
set -x
symclone -sid 000 -f /home/scripts/clone/iprf_clone.dev query
symclone -sid 000 -f /home/scripts/clone/iprf_clone.dev terminate -noprompt
echo "symclone copy done `date`" >>time
-------------------------------
contents of /home/scripts/clone/iprf_clone.dev

517 2f1
470 329
4FF 341
519 1fc

---------------------------------

Thanks in advance
Jim

10 Posts

February 20th, 2007 02:00

Instead of -copy option if the -precopy option is used ,it will help to reduce the time ,
Full copy in the background starts after creation of the clone session and before activating it session in your senario before 8.00 pm

419 Posts

April 6th, 2007 08:00

I belive this setup would work better with a different mix of bcv and clone..

if your copies on NOHOST were BCV (not-Raid5 BCV) you could simply do an incremental establish each time you need to refresh the data from ISTG. Once the BCV is split you would be able to do the clone operation to get your copy to IPRF; This copy could be created initialy with the symclone -sid xxx -f xxxx -est -full command (this implies the create with precopy and activates); This should significantly decrease the amount of time it takes to get the copy to IPRF.

The Additional copies currently on BCV could be accomplished with Clone.

Solutions enabler Timefinder Product Guide Has some good examples of similar setups.

Message was edited by:
PaulCork

Message was edited by:
PaulCork

522 Posts

March 30th, 2015 12:00

Are they all from the same server? You could use a device file or DG/CG with all 85 devices in them to execute the symclone against and it would create the consistent image across all 85 of those devices at the same time.

2 Posts

March 30th, 2015 12:00

jhamann,

Is there any way or have you any of you guys know a script to symclone 85 devices in one shot? Creating symclones 85 times its time consuming and I was wondering if theres an easier way to do it, perhaps running a script.

2 Posts

March 30th, 2015 13:00

Thank you, yes all from the same server.

92 Posts

March 30th, 2015 13:00

I run similar environments and accomplish the symcloning with symdgs (symmetrix device groups).

No Events found!